Old Grey, NO Date Stamp, Weber Kettle - Future Fire Pit

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Picked up this old grey, no stamp, weber kettle. It has 3 vents on the bottom. The side handles are just molded steel. I want to use it to make a fire pit for making marshmellows and hot dogs on and just sittin around, shootin the chit. I plan to put wheels on it so I can roll it out of the way when I am finished. The bowl is so messed up it would not be worth trying to restore it. I think I can bend it all back into shape enough to make it work for the fire pit.

If you have done this yourself, lets see some pics.

IMG_3721.jpg

grey=faded black no date=old Oughtta make a great MM/HD cooker.

It used to be black. i have one that looks like that in the garage. At one time it probably had a wood handle on the lid. I think mine is from 1984 or 1985, but I really don't remember.

I have made quite a few Weber "Redneck" Fire Pits over the last few years. Sold them on craigslist for $20 or given them away to friends. When I was building UDS's and using the bowl for the soon to patented "swamprb UDS kettle lid flange mod" I tossed a few in the scrap metal bins, and a couple people fished them out to use for fire pits on the beach, so I got to work!

100_1714.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

Used to think I was the only one that had any "Grecian Formula" Gray kettles, gawd know's I've seen a few here in the Pacific Northwet, I thought they were faded Blacks, but a lot of them surface and people on the bullet site score them which makes me wonder if Weber had made some Grays?

Here are a trio of Gray tops I have in my collection (hoard)

IMG_3990.jpg

And I have tried to restore them to their original blackness and nothing seems to work- notice the grease stains on the bowl and your lid? I've even taken grease from my drip pans and smeared it on to see it it will darken them to match the stains-to no avail!

Another thing you might consider is making a FrankenWeber Pizza oven out of it! There are a few bro's here that have made them and they can walk you through it.

Back