Opinions on choosing a new grill

jace

Found some matches.
Reaction score
hello,
Newb here. I need to replace my gasser and charcoal grill and am looking at 2 combo units. typical back yarder, I usually gas during the week and charcoal on weekends when I have time. the smoke hollow trimate and the char-broil combination grill is what I was looking at.

http://www.olp-inc.com/images/Products/Wagons/Charcoal-Gas.html

http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo/4-96-2175/NEW-Combination-CharcoalGas-Grill.aspx

I have seen the smoke hollow, seems sturdy for the price point it is in. I have not seen the char-broil in person. The smoke has 10K BTU burners and a nice 12K searing burner on the side.

The Char-broil has 12K BTU burners, and nice finished look, although I have not seen it in person and but no side firebox.

Does anyone have any experience with these 2 grills that could provide input ?

Thanks

2 summers ago we bought a Weber Summit, and i just acquired an old Weber Kettle.

The kettle is pretty much the best thing that's happened to our dinner.

Most likely will not ever stray from it.

I bought a Charbroil "Commercial" Gasser, and the frame under the stainless shell rusted out in less than 3 years -- in Dallas. Unfixable. Never again.

On the other hand, my 22.5 Kettle is 16 years old, and in great shape. My dad's Weber Genesis gasser is about 10 years old, and still looks and works well.

CD

Last edited:
Wouldn't ya think Weber would make a combination? It would absolutely be a best seller. Untapped potential there. :tsk:

weber 26.75 kettle, you won't be sorry, coals start in 10 minutes with a chimney, ready to cook in 15, probably the same amount of time it would take a lesser gasser to heat up.

A 22.5" Weber OTS is only 80 bucks or so retail. You'll never be sorry you got one. Spend the rest on a stand alone gasser. On the Charbroil, I've seen that particular model and was not impressed by it's look or feel.

I'm with Deguerre on this one. I used to cook on gas but after I got my Weber OTG, I never looked back. I actually gave my gas grill away a few months ago. I thought along the same lines as you too. I thought I would continue to use my gas grill when I wanted to do a quick cook, but in reality, I can still do a quick cook on my charcoal grill. It doesn't take that long to fire up a chimney of charcoal and have it ready. The chimney really speeds up that process. I can usually have food on the grill in 20 minutes.

Get a Weber Kettle of your choice and spend the rest on a new gasser of your choice.

get a performer. super convenient

you might even be able to find one for 199 at home depot right now.

Buy the best, and only cry once.

Get a Weber kettle of your favorite flavor and find a good Weber gasser on CL. There is always a Weber gasser on CL. For minimal $$ on Amazon you can get whatever parts you need to rebuild it.

You'll have 2 grills you'll use for the rest of your life.

I happen to be partial to WEBER............I have one of them that is 30 years old.

Pretty simple when someone posts they bought a cheapo and it went 3 years and another posts they bought a Weber 30 years ago.

+ on the webers.
I have a gasser weber of course, but I just bought my new love, the performer, beats my OTS and OTG out of the water. The propane start to charcoal is a set it and forget it. No messing around with the chimney- its just great!!!
a friend of mine bought the charbroil in july- he likes it but I know for sure ALL of my grills will out last his!!
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Have you seen the reviews at Sam's club? not too impressive (although only 3 reviews)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/p...i_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku4324116#BVRRWidgetID

Yea I read the reviews on sams club (2) there are actually a good bit more positive ones on gander mountain and a few good ones on this site actually, that i found through the search that with a few mods IE: removing rubber bumpers on lids and sealing the side fire box that it's a very nice unit for the price.
thanks everyone for the help, I may reconsider my options with a kettle. can you do a decent wood / charcoal smoke with a kettle ? never tried it.

Yea I read the reviews on sams club (2) there are actually a good bit more positive ones on gander mountain and a few good ones on this site actually, that i found through the search that with a few mods IE: removing rubber bumpers on lids and sealing the side fire box that it's a very nice unit for the price.
thanks everyone for the help, I may reconsider my options with a kettle. can you do a decent wood / charcoal smoke with a kettle ? never tried it.

Absolutely. As of this time, I have not done a smoke on the kettle that went longer than 6 hours yet, but I would have no problem at all cooking a butt on the kettle. It just takes a little more maintenance than other types of smokers but it will do the job with great results.

I've got to agree with all about Weber's. Terrific product backed up by superb customer service. Can't go wrong. With a One touch silver kettle going for about 80 bucks new.....wow!

It really depends on your budget. I recently decided to dump my Charbroil Red gasser because of the horrible quality. I wanted something I could cook low and slow and my wife could use as a grill.
I got a MAK One Star General pellet grill. I can go to 450+ and down as low as 170. Just dial in the temp. I have done a 12lb bone inrib-eye roast, 2 pork shoulders, 2 pastramis, 1 turkey, omelettes, salmon smoked at 170 for 4-1/2 hours (simply awesome). All have been superb. My wife, who would never touch anything except the gasser thinks it is great and actually uses it.

Every contest I've ever been to, I've seen big old rigs and some really fancy set ups, I have also seen about 75% of the teams with at least one weber kettle. It's easy to use, simple, semi portable and inexpensive. +1 for a weber.

Back