Dry Aged Briskets (Good or Bad Idea???)

clikover

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a local butcher in my area who only sells dry aged meat. The briskets are dry aged ~30 days. What do you guys think of this vs. buying briskets in cryo?

Thanks,
Clay

I'm always an advocate for non-cryo meat. Go for it! I don't have any experience with dry aged briskies, but it's always a treat when I can find a good deal on thick cuts of chuck to dry age. The flavor is definitely richer.

I have had experience with dry aged ribeye and the taste is incredilble... I dont know how a dry aged brisket would be your losing some of the moisture in the aging process... how would that work in the low and slow process???

the flat turns out really small once everything is carved. i dry aged a flat for 21 days. it turned out pretty good. it wasn't the best brisket i had. i wish i had done a regular one along side it.

I am no expert on this subject but I have read a bit and am ready to try it. My understanding is that the best meats to dry age are heavily marbled but not with a bit fat cap. The dry aging fundamentally dehydrates the meat and it will lose up to 15% of its weight during the process. The flavor of the meat becomes more intense and you need that marbling fat to keep the meet from being dryed out.
Lean meat, like a brisket flat, will probably be dried out tasty jerky.

I've done several of them and they always turn out great! I buy the biggest whole untrimmed one I can find in Cryovac, take it home, rinse and place it on a sheet pan lined with paper towels fat side down on a cooling rack. I age them for 7 to 10 days depending on how big. One thing to remember is that aged beef cooks faster than fresh beef.

I am no expert on this subject but I have read a bit and am ready to try it. My understanding is that the best meats to dry age are heavily marbled but not with a bit fat cap. The dry aging fundamentally dehydrates the meat and it will lose up to 15% of its weight during the process. The flavor of the meat becomes more intense and you need that marbling fat to keep the meet from being dryed out.
Lean meat, like a brisket flat, will probably be dried out tasty jerky.

lean meat works fine as well. i actually like some fat cap on it. as when you are trimming away the wierd stuff, you don't lose as much actual meat.

Back