First Competition April 28th

A

ApronGuy

Greetings Brethren,

I am competing in my very first competition in two weeks. It kind of came on suddenly, but I jumped at the chance. It's in Austin at the Texas Culinary Academy on the 28th of April. I don't think it's a huge event, or even if a BBQ governing body is overseeing the judging. However, I'm super excited.

3 categories: Brisket, Baby Back ribs, Chicken

I've been pouring over recipes, my own procedures, and the various competition checklists here on the forum. There's not much time left 'till the event, so .... any words of advice for this Newest of Newbies?

Oh ... my team name is "Que and A"

If anyone is in the area on that weekend, come by and say hello.

Greetings Brethren,

I am competing in my very first competition in two weeks. It kind of came on suddenly, but I jumped at the chance. It's in Austin at the Texas Culinary Academy on the 28th of April. I don't think it's a huge event, or even if a BBQ governing body is overseeing the judging. However, I'm super excited.

I've been pouring over recipes, my own procedures, and the various competition checklists here on the forum. There's not much time left 'till the event, so .... any words of advice for this Newest of Newbies?

First off--I have relatives in Austin--I will alert them to this.
Do they have a website?????????????

Secondly--lots of historical threads here for new teams. I suspect you have searched them all.

We have all been through the "jitters" and most of us have survived :lol:
Some of us still go through them! :oops:

Any specific questions other than "How to survive the first?"
For that---"Take a breath and have fun" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Have fun brother and the rest will work itself out....if not.....there is always BEER!!!

Have fun and good luck, get your schedule/timeline worked out before hand, that will help a bunch.

I know less then you .......so Im a saying dont forget to enjoy the time there, Im a guessing stress of 1st time...... Im still looking towards it in the future.

Greetings Brethren,

Practice cooks...... Practice cooks and then do it again. Most of all have fun and make new friends.

Did any one mention practicing....lol, the best idea! and remember have fun!!

Good Luck!

Develop a game plan and do your best to stick to it....at least if you go with your game plan, you won't be disappointed if you fail. You will just modify your game plan. When you fail to stick to your game plan....then things tend to piss you off....Another great thing to remember, DO NOT allow yourself to be distracted. advise all of your friends that social hour starts immediately after the last turn-in... tell them to stay out of your way and out of your helpers way....This is advice that I am sure others will acknowledge here.

thanks everyone ....

I do plan on having fun. I can hardly contain my joy right now.

My only real jitters are about that 2 hour time period where you have to prep and turn in.

Kapn ... "they" do have a website ... It's my own. I am the pitmaster for my team. My site is Meninaprons.net

The Polocks wish you all the best! We hope you have as much fun as we did in our first contest! After our first contest my brother and I looked at each other and yelled, "We're hooked"! That contest was one of the best times I have ever had with my brother since we were kids. I hope your first contest brings you as much joy and fun as my first did to me.

Hey ApronGuy,

I just finished my first one today. Did good in pork and chicken, brisket was our worst. We had a thermometer on a smoker go bad and did a 14 lb brisket. Put it on at 1:00 Friday afternoon and at 6:00 this morning it was at 120 degrees. Panic Mod!!!!!!!! I cut it in half wrapped it and got a working thermometer.

If chicken turn in is first like most KCBS comps, start earlier than you think you have two. We went nuts trying to get the first turnin ready while tending the end of the ribs. I had 6 matched thighs all ready and put on the sauce and skin side down to crisp and one fell thru the hole between the grates. Luckily I had some extras, got one ready and got everything off in time.
Write down your start and should be done times before you go and post them. This will help a lot.
Have fun, mingle with other teams and ask a lot of questions. Today I was surrounded by great teams and every one was great with plenty of help, until 11:00, turn in time everyone goes into the zone.

Good Luck with the Comp. Take lot of pictures to post.

Back