Ribs in the oven question

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
My daughter and grandson are here from Portland.
I am teaching them 3 simple appetizers (MOINKS, stuffed button mushrooms, and faux ABTs made with salad peppers) and simple ribs.

Challenge is that she does not have a grill or smoker available and no desire to buy one.
So, the oven it is.

I am looking for something to add to the rib rub to get any sort of "smokey flavor" to them.
A friend recommended "Pirates Gold" marinade.
I think Smoked Paprika, Mesquite Powder, or a "Jerk" seasonings like Plowboy's might help.

Any other suggestions for adding flavor???

TIM

IMO you can use any rub that you like. But you are going to loose a lot of smoke flavor. I would wrap them in foil to keep then moist. Cook just a few hours at low temp 250 is what I like. Then at the end, sauce them and put them under the broiler for a few minutes.

You could make up some smoked salt in your pit and send it home with them, use it in place of regular salt in your rub.

Chipotle powder, Smoked paprika, Comino, or wet the surface with dare I say it.... Liquid Smoke.

I wonder if you could do some soaked wood chips in a foil packet with holes punched, and place that in the pan with the ribs? Just a thought.

You know, even if she doesn't want to buy or mess with an outdoor cooker, there are indoor options. I have one of these, and the operating temps for it would be great for the appetizers mentioned.

http://www.chefsresource.com/cmismo.html

ultimatechefstore_2268_344374147

Prior to joining the fine forum, when I made ribs in the oven, I would baste them with apple juice and liquid smoke mix. A little LS goes along way. It is after all smoked water. Your secrets safe with me Kapn! :cool:

To echo some of the above, I would use smoked seasoning as much as possible (paprika, sugar, salt, etc.

Back in the day, before I started smoking them I used to do a brine with AJ, lemon juice, AC vinegar, a little kosher salt, a little brown sugar, and liquid smoke. Let them sit for no more than 4 hours. Pull them out, dry them off, rub them down, and into the oven at about 300 degrees until they are done. I would then finish them on the grill, but in your case slather them up and back in the oven at 400 for about 5 min.

What is this "oven" that you speak of? :p

How about having them use a sauce with some smoke flavor, like Head Country?

Smoked paprika as an ingredient.

You could try Trader Joe's South African Smoke blend.

You could also make and give your grandson a UDS or Mini-WSM. It's the (forgive me for this) drum set of the 21st century. I'm sure some of our Portland Brethren could assist him in smoking techniques.

You're a grandparent. Your job is to spoil your grandson, while ignoring the requests of his mother.

Americas Test Kitchen did an episode with ribs done in the oven. looked interesting. used tea to create smoke if I remember right

chipotle powder is excellent. i also had the stovetop cooker, that works pretty well too.

Some great ideas!!!

A plan is developing to send them home with the basic flavors and skills to move forward.

Side note--my "training ribs and appetizers" just came off the PG 500. Snacks gone in a flash. My 42 y/o daughter reminded me that her birthday is coming and what a great kid she was.
"Yeah, Sure". I may be old, but my memory in intact! 8)

Thanks for the input folks!

TIM

Definitely take an hour and whip up some smoked salt for them to take with. It'll bring along true smoke flavor to add to their oven cooking. Then look for smokier rubs. Weber makes some great ones. Smoked paprika is great, and adds nice color which she won't get due to no smoke ring.

As far as technique, I'd rub them down good with a dry rub and let them sit in the fridge overnight or for a couple hours at least. Then in the oven at 250 wrapped in foil. My final suggestion is to make up a good home made bbq sauce, and slather them with it and cook at 400 for the last 45 minutes or so. One other option is to put them under the broiler for a few short minutes at the very end. Keep a close eye on them so you don't burn the sugary bbq sauce, but if you get a little char it'll caramelize nicely and add a little smokey favor.

You know, even if she doesn't want to buy or mess with an outdoor cooker, there are indoor options. I have one of these, and the operating temps for it would be great for the appetizers mentioned.

http://www.chefsresource.com/cmismo.html

ultimatechefstore_2268_344374147

^ This is what I was trying to remember. I've used them on lamb chops and ribs before and it works pretty good. I've also used a full sized foil pan, a rack, throw in just a little (couple tablespoons max) of the fine milled wood chips, put the ribs on the rack above the chips, add some AJ or liquid smoke if you want, cover with the foil top an throw in the over. Oh yea, turn off the smoke alarms just in case.:mrgreen:

Back