matching wood to meat........

It's A Texas Thang.:p Goolges your friend:icon_smile_tongue:

That 'Texas Thang' even grows in Alabama. :rolleyes:

My favorites are Oak, Pecan, and Hickory. Not necessarily in that order.

I have mixed Oak and Apple or Pear. (Mild smoke)

{If your gonna smoke 'Road Kill' you should definitely use Green Pine,
or soaked Railroad Ties...} :wacko: (Go Hobo style)

Last edited:
I have very specific tastes...
apple-pork
pecan-chicken
bourbon barrel-beef

Those are my favorite combos.

Strictly post oak at home. Strictly native texas pecan and fresh Fruitawoods cherry for comps. Cherry adds like stated earlier a whole new dimension of smoke flavor to foods. It does darken your lighter colored meats. Also as stated earlier you can only dectect your strongest smoking wood is untrue. If you use 3/1 fruit/hardwood you get a different flavor profile. Don't take my advise, try it for yourself, you will like it.

I live in the abilene area here in texas, can somebody explain to me how to identify Post Oak vs the other oaks we have here, I can find anything on how to tell the difference. All the locals I talk to that have oak trees don't know. I have lots of mesquite.

Also is there a point where pecan wood is too old to use? I can get some pecan but its been cut down for several years.

Thanks.

Post oak, pin oak, live oak are all easily distinguishable by leaves.
Another way is by the bark. That's how I learned if it didn't have any leaves

I use whatever is on hand. What I keep on hand is whatever I can get from my firewood guy. Right now I have a bunch of oak (probably live oak) and hickory.

My son's co-worker also does tree work on the side... he brought me a big pile of Florida maple. (It still needs to dry a bit though.)

Also is there a point where pecan wood is too old to use? I can get some pecan but its been cut down for several years.

Thanks.

If the pecan wasn't kept relatively dry it might have become rotten. If it is verry light, in weight, and the wood has become soft, I wouldn't use it.

Back