Apple Juice spray

I used to when I started out. Not so much anymore.
Many do, though. Getting lazy I guess.:heh:

When I did....it was once an hour.

on my cooker i dont spray since it has a water pan and I think that opening it up kills the humid environment. Are you doing this for moisture or flavor? If flavor, I would focus on your pregame and your postgame for flavoring. Not so much your midgame. My 2 cents.

on my cooker i dont spray since it has a water pan and I think that opening it up kills the humid environment. Are you doing this for moisture or flavor? If flavor, I would focus on your pregame and your postgame for flavoring. Not so much your midgame. My 2 cents.

Really I was using this for moisture I'm using a 22.5 WSM In the past I would spray every hour and I used the 3-2-1 method 2 smokes ago I ate my food sober for the first time and my spares were mushy I swore against 3-2-1 method from now on so just doing straight I will try just let go no apple juice see what happens!

If it's for moisture, I'd say just use a waterpan in the bullet with the meat and let it ride like BmanMA said. That will keep them from drying out.

Really I was using this for moisture I'm using a 22.5 WSM In the past I would spray every hour and I used the 3-2-1 method 2 smokes ago I ate my food sober for the first time and my spares were mushy I swore against 3-2-1 method from now on so just doing straight I will try just let go no apple juice see what happens!

Yeah, 3-2-1 taken literally will mush you real good. Search the site... lots of advice on that technique. It's a good technique IMO, just need some tweaking for the time in the foil.

How often does everybody usually spray there ribs I'm doing spares no foil Thanks in Advance!

I'd spray every 30-45 min. It makes a good flavor layer between rub & sauce. I'd consider mixing in some worcestershire sauce & Agave nectar.

I sprayed a lot early on...had all bizarre mixes of fruit juices, apple cider vinegar, pickle juice, rubs, bourbon etc...

then saw the light... cool liquid on hot meat and opening pit doors just didn't make much sense to me any longer.... IMO, it's more of a wasteful activity that keeps the cook busy and feels like they are doing something different.

I don't think it's awful, just not necessary for great ribs.

Know your cooker & your meat.

i spray a mix of 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar once an hour for the first three and then every 30 minutes thereafter until i sauce/or not sauce.

I don't spray. I used to but I figured I shouldn't be opening the cooker too much. It may be a good way to layer flavors, but lately I've been more about keeping the cooker closed. I'm using a stickburner btw - I keep a foil pan w/water in the cooker for moisture.

Vinny nailed it on the head:

"I don't think it's awful, just not necessary for great ribs. Know your cooker & your meat."

Practice to find what works for you. I personally don't spray any more and I don't use water in my WSM.

A lot depends on your cooker. If you have to open up anyway, to rotate the ribs or add charcoal, that would be the time to spray. But if you have no reason to open the cooker, other than to spray, then don't.

If you're looking for something to do while the ribs are cooking, crack a cold one or two...

My personal favorite is spraying every 30 minutes, nothing liberal, just a nice misting, and my favorite mix is half apple juice, one quarter apple cider vinegar one quarter water. Not sure how that dramatically effects it, but I have been doing a lot of testing lately.

I am also looking to skip the foil from now on, it is a mush maker. I would only foil when I needed to speed up the cook a bit. I sauce three times in the last hour, thin layers, nothing sloppy, just want that tacky caramelized finish that I get with a good three layer saucing. YMMV

I liked spritzing ever 30-60 minutes after the first couple hours...
usually a mix of apple juice, pomegranate juice
sometimes cherry juice in there as well

twice, at the 30 minute mark and at the 1 hour mark. at the 1.5 hour mark we put
them on foil with a heavy spritz before closing the foil... apple juice and worchestershire.

So I finished my Spares last night had them in there for 6 hours no spritz last 20 minutes put some BBQ sauce on ended up being the Best Spares I've done ever!

So I finished my Spares last night had them in there for 6 hours no spritz last 20 minutes put some BBQ sauce on ended up being the Best Spares I've done ever!

Sorry socalnewb, but if you don't post pictures, it didn't happen.

Sorry Didn't take pics last night but I will post Friday night's baby backs done the same way!

Attachments

• babybacks.jpg
    babybacks.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 148
  • IMGbb.jpg
    IMGbb.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 147
  • temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 146
  • donebb.jpg
    donebb.jpg