How to Properly Season a Pit.

Fire the pit up hot - over 300* and use bacon grease to season the interior grates (like a cast iron skillet).
Keep the pit at temp for a few hours. Some use PAM spray or canola - a high temp oil.

Lang suggest closing upper damper to "smoke cure" the grates for a couple hours.
I also coat the exterior for some weather protection... allowing the grease to bake on.

Pretty much what Bandit says. I use spray Pam its just easier and I put it on everything inside and out [ I wipe down the outside ]

Bacon grease, lard, crisco, olive oil. I'd prefer to use bacon grease. but that's just me, I'm silly like that.

I use Peanut oil. Do it just like you do for seasoning cast iron skillets.

Been using Canola oil - thinking that it holds better together at higher temps.
My real recommendation is to cover yourself with clothes you don't care about. I generally seem to get it everywhere.

Pam makes a BBQ grill spray. Used it to season my uds. Worked great !

The best thing to use is Flaxseed oil you can get it at a health food store 2nd best is a thin layer of crisco 400 deg 1 hr either way.

What about a mess of pork butts and briskets? :crazy:

All kidding aside any of the above should work.

Been using Canola oil - thinking that it holds better together at higher temps.
My real recommendation is to cover yourself with clothes you don't care about. I generally seem to get it everywhere.

I use Pam, which is just canola oil. Just make sure that you get the pit up over 400* for at least an hour. The smoke point for Canola oil is 400*. What you are doing is turning the liquid oil into a solid through carbonization. Same process for seasoning cast iron cookware. Whatever oil you use, make sure you cure it at a temp higher than the smoke point of the oil. Here is a reference I use for oils I use in seasoning cast iron:

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm

I like to use those meaty beef back ribs from Restaurant Depot, just fill the smoker with them and all that WONDERFUL fat dripping down into the bottom will season it!!

Back