Buttermilk Twice Dipped Grilled Fried Chicken

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I got this idea after reading off the internet a Buttermilk Twice Dipped Fried Chicken recipe from Bobby Flay. I’ve done my best here to adapt it to be KFC (Kamado Fried Chicken)

First I purchased a Grill Pack of chicken.

Here are the Buttermilk Marinate Ingredients:

Amounts:
2 Cups Butter Milk
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Chipotle Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
Place ingredient in a bowl and whisk together.

I took one breast and 1 leg quarter and cut the quarter into a thigh and a drum stick.

I then placed the chicken in the buttermilk marinate and mixed it up.

And then placed this in a gallon Ziploc and into the fridge for 6 hours.

While it was marinating I made up a dredge for later.
Dredge Ingredients:

Amounts:
1/2 Cup AP Flour
1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1/4 Corn Starch
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
1 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Chipotle Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
I light the kamado and set it up for direct / in-direct cooking and let it get up to 350.

After 6 hours I removed the chicken from the marinate, drained in a colander and patted dry.

I then dredged each piece in the dry ingredients

And then in the buttermilk dip

And then in the dry ingredients again.

Placed on the kamado on the upper rack on the direct side .

Here it is after 10 minutes.

And flip

After another 10 minutes I switched it other to the indirect side and let it go another 10 minutes.

This breast and thigh were very large so I had to cook them and additional 10 minutes to get they to the correct I.T.’s.
Results

Not a failure but not a complete success either. As you can see some of the coating dropped off. Moving these pieces around with tongs is not good. The coating on the drumstick almost completely fell off. Next time I’ll place them on the indirect side and just leave them there.

The skin that didn’t fall off was nice and crisp and had a very nice and somewhat spicy flavor. The chicken under the skin was fantastic. It was moist and flavorful.

If I can keep the coating on it this is the closest I’ve come to a real buttermilk fried chicken on the grill.

I’ll keep experimenting and see if I can prefect this method. :becky:

Good job. My mouth and stomach don't care what it looks like as long as it taste great!:biggrin:

Looks good!
Try letting the dredged pieces rest a bit before moving to the next step.
I was told the dredge has to have time to seal itself to the piece.
Works for fish and shrimp.

I do something kinda like this on my Holland grill. The taste is always good, but the tenderness is hit or miss.

Looks awesome. You may want to look into one of these for moving your meat around.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pig-Tail-Food-Flipper-Size/dp/B00CEK2ILS/ref=sr_1_6?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429282743&sr=1-6&keywords=pig+tail"]Amazon.com : Pig Tail Food Flipper Size: 19" H x 3" W x 1" D : Sports : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DBTIX-DIL.@@AMEPARAM@@31DBTIX-DIL[/ame]

One thing that the Ga bbq Santa and I can see eye to eye on is a love for good fried chicken. That looks good to me. The reason that the coating came off is it is to moist. After you marinate Rinse & dry your pieces first then Coat with corn starch and let it sit for 30 min before dipping in butter milk and your coating and dip once

Back