Electric knife revisited.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The recent thread about electric knives, reminded me I bought one at a garage sale about 3 years ago, thinking I would use it to slice brisket at competitions. It turned out that I did not care for the marks it left on the slices so I never used it again.

Anyway I dug it out cleaned it up and tried slicing some ham, as it turned out I decided it was not for me, manly because I did not like the way it jitters and shakes in my hand. This is a Black and Decker and when I could get it to slice on the spot I wanted, it did ok but it was very hard to control, will not likely use it again.

Knowing that because of the reciprocating action of the blades I expected some movement but this is excessive to me and wonder it they all are like this, or are there better brands with a smother action. Do you have this problem or is it just mine. I really don't see the benefit in using one if you have a good knife.
Dave

We use a Cuisinart in comps for ribs, pork and brisket. We have 4 180s in brisket, so marks haven't been an issue. I had a B&D and it is not even close to the quality of the Cuisinart.

I use a Piranha from Mister Twister. It is specificly designed for cleaning salt water game fish, but does a great job on just about anything. It is much faster than a standard electric and has curved blades like a filet knife. It is a turkey's worst knightmare.

I have the Rappala cordless. It only has 2 sets of serated blades and not one like a bread knife. It leaves marks I dont like.

I use the electric knife linked below and absolutely love it. I use it in competition for brisket.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CEK-40-Electric-Knife/dp/B00004WKI3/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1355414121&sr=1-2&keywords=electric+knife"]Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

I have one I got for slicing bread. Does a great job on that, but haven't used it for much else. Can't remember what brand it is, but it was fairly cheap.

A very good...very sharp knife is all you need. It will cost more than the electric knives. JMO.

A very good...very sharp knife is all you need. It will cost more than the electric knives. JMO.

I think I will have to agree, unless I found one of the better ones at a sale, I would rather put my money on a better knife even if a bit more.
Dave

I tried one several years ago, and wound up at the emergency room for stitches!!:loco: Went home and threw it in the trash. Never again. :redface:

Back