Nice fried pie Bluetang, I know those as Hobo Pies and love them, a traditional cooked over fire item if ever there was one.

Thanks Bob, that chicken of yours is so calling to me too :thumb: Beauty!

Carnitas!

I wanted to make a pulled pork taco with sweet slaw and Blues Hog. That I was sure I would like. But I also wanted to mix it up a little. Here is the mixed up part.

First I started with some Mango Juice, Orange Juice, Onions, Three kinds of peppers and some ginger. I let this all reduce down with some Sweet Baby Rays and made a nice and spicy Mango Pepper Sauce.

sf1.JPG
sf2.JPG
sf3.JPG
sf6.JPG

I also wanted a little mango slaw to go with my Mango Carnita. The slaw had fresh mango, ginger, red and green bell pepper, honey, red onion and a little splash of orange juice (it was really good).

sf9.JPG

I know that as much as I like things spicy my family does not. I found two pork shoulders about the same size and rubbed one with Secret Weapon and the other I covered with HDD and a layer of Secret Weapon.

sf4.JPG
sf5.JPG
sf7.JPG

Finally we made up some fresh tortillas and sweet slaw and called it a meal.

sf10.JPG

Thanks for looking

Kebabs

I needed to come up with something for this throwdown. I had put off entering too long, with today being the last day to enter.

Then a certain person who shall remain unnamed (silverfinger) went and entered zombie cooked like a brisket earlier today, which is what I wanted to do.:doh: So now, at the last minute, I had to come up with something new.:shock:

I hadn't had a chance to run to the store this weekend, so I found myself in a jam. All of the ideas I kept coming up with I did not have all of the ingredients for.:tsk: Finally I just looked at what was on hand, and tried to come up with something using what was on hand, that would be some sort of Street Food.

What I started putting together was some sort of Mediterranean inspired Kebab thing, but I don't think it can be narrowed to any specific Mediterranean style cuisine. I suppose you could label it from a few different countries, Greek comes to mind, and get away with it. It's basically a type of Kefta, but skirts a few different Mediterranean types in my opinion. It's what I thought I could put together that I thought would be tasty however!:thumb:

I started with some Ground Beef, minced Onion, chopped Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Cinnamon and Cumin.
r_IMG_1314.jpg

I mixed that up by hand, being rather thorough to let the meat kind of break down like you expect from spiced ground meat things in Mediterranean food. This helped to keep my food processor clean and save some time!:becky: I let the meat mingle with the spices for about an hour.
r_IMG_1317.jpg

Then I formed 14 patties about the diameter of a pool ball and almost an inch thick. I put these on skewers alternated with sliced Red Potato that had marinated in an Garlic Olive Oil/Lemon Juice mixture. I put the skewers on my grill, offset with lump charcoal.
r_IMG_1320.jpg

Ten minutes later I gave them a flip.
r_IMG_1321.jpg

Another ten minutes later I flipped them again, and moved the skewer in back up to the front.
r_IMG_1323.jpg

Ten minutes later, they read 155 internal, which was my target, figuring they would carry over to 160 internal. Since this is "Street Food", I figured cooking to rare or medium rare could be a bad idea. Plus, I needed to cook those potatoes.

I didn't have a jar of sauce that seemed suitable, so I had to make a glaze out of Honey with enough Lemon Juice to make it nice and lemony, a little Soy Sauce to give it a little sumtin-sumtin, and a dash of Sriracha sauce for a bit of a kick. I drizzled that over the meat and potatoes until they were covered. At this point they are ready to be carried off by a customer and eaten.:thumb:
r_IMG_1327.jpg

r_IMG_1330.jpg

r_IMG_1334.jpg

They were really good. Some times when you are completely winging a recipe it works out, ad this was definitely one of those times.:hungry: I only made it through one and a half sticks though. They are packed with meat and potatoes.:becky:

Here is some street food from my neck of the woods. I was going to make a prego but thought it might get too confusing. No not spaghetti sauce it is pronounced prego not prego,:tsk: see what I mean. So I decided to make a Bifana instead. A Bifana can be found at any Portuguese street festa and is basically a steak sandwich.

Here are the ingredients :doh: I also used SM season all not shown in the pic.

ingredients-1.jpg

I make a paste by grinding 6 cloves of coarsely chopped garlic and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt in the mortar and pestil.

garlicandsalt.jpg

Then add ground pepper paste, paprika, black pepper and SM season all (that stuff is like bacon it makes everything better).

Paste.jpg

You may want to look away, this is the part where I beat my steaks.

tenderize.jpg

If I were making a prego I would have put thin slices of garlic on the steaks then beat them.

The paste is applied to the steaks then covered with super expensive Chablis, marinate overnite.

marinade-1.jpg

Then I first saute some onions in OO before they are don I add some paprika and SM season all deglaze the pan with some of the super expensive Chablis (reserved from marinate) and reduce for about 3 min.

onion.jpg

The steaks cook quick about 4 min tops.

steakinpan2.jpg

Served on a papo-seco and fries beer is mandatory.

bifana6.jpg

bifana5.jpg

Use the first pic for voting, thanks for looking.:thumb:

Wow, the last minute entries are killing me, everyone came up with great ideas. And thankfully, Biggye had some spare ground zombie.

Wow! Great entries, and nothing from a can or jar! :thumb:

I am so going to lose this one.

Good eats!

CD

Talk about a flurry of excellent entries... :clap2:

I suspect there are still a few left to come and voting is going to be a real challenge as always. Is it just me noticing, or has the caliber of food in the Throwdowns (present company excluded :tsk:) gone through the roof lately?

I dunno about that Al, there have always been some great things coming out of Throwdowns, it is one of the things that keeps me interested here, as I beleive the most interesting cooks often happen for a Throw Down.

I miss seeing some of the contributors, such as Smokejumper, RTD and a few others. That is not to disparage any of the current cooks, but, there are always killer entries.

Every now and then I believe the entries are consistently improving, but then when I go back to older voting threads, I see that there has always been some stiff competition. I do believe that the more Throwdowns that people enter, the better their entries get. However, not everyone has hung around the last 3 years and kept participating, so we always have new blood coming in and getting better and better.

Then a certain person who shall remain unnamed (silverfinger) went and entered zombie cooked like a brisket earlier today, which is what I wanted to do.:doh: So now, at the last minute, I had to come up with something new.:shock:

r_IMG_1334.jpg

And something new you did! That looks awesome! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I dunno about that Al, there have always been some great things coming out of Throwdowns, it is one of the things that keeps me interested here, as I beleive the most interesting cooks often happen for a Throw Down.

I miss seeing some of the contributors, such as Smokejumper, RTD and a few others. That is not to disparage any of the current cooks, but, there are always killer entries.

I've only been actively participating for about five months so my frame of reference isn't as long as yours. Hence my observation must just be mine as I suspected. I would agree great things come out of these Throwdowns, and my comment meant no disrespect towards anyone past or present. It was actually meant as a compliment... :becky:

I didn't take it any differently than how you meant it.

Each week I swear it is harder and harder to decide. Each week I also swear that it is the best set of dishes ever submitted. I see no reason to not believe it.

The reason I said what I did, is that I go back from time to time for various reasons to older threads. Usually to look something up. When I do, especially if I go back to dishes as far back as the first year, which by that logic should have the lowest quality entries, I'm always blown away by the quality of the dishes even in those. I would say that each week back then, there were dishes that could still compete today, easily. In fact, even in those first couple weeks are some dishes that might beat every entry ever made in the Throwdowns. The only way to know for sure would be to put them all head to head...which would be ridiculous to even attempt to pull off since there have been over 160 Throwdowns.

I am almost tempted to say that among the less popular dishes (voting-wise) that the ones from the current Throwdowns look better than those from the older Throwdowns. So in that regard, you could say that in general the quality of entries has gone up. That might be because many times people joining for the first time might not always have much photo taking knowledge and post something really good that could have simply been a better photo. That same thing happened back in that first year as well. Except that back then the number of people that had worked hard at taking good photos was maybe lower than it is in the current pool of contestants.

Another thing that I find interesting, over the last year we had a couple FNG Throwdowns, and a lot of people posted entries for the first time, many of which were not that experienced with trying to make a food photo special. They just took a pic of a great dish, letting the dish speak for itself instead of the photo quality.

What I found particularly interesting was that I truly felt that most, if not all of those entries could have competed neck and neck in a Throwdown that included any regulars. None of them looked bad by any means.

How many times has the best photo not won? Or even the best dish? Sometimes people post something that they say wasn't great but was just good, yet it wins or gets a lot of votes, while a truly great dish gets a zero.

It's these kinds of things that makes it hard to really prove that overall all entries nowadays are generally better than before. Since it's subjective, and each person likes a photo or dish for different reasons, it's not really tangible enough to have any sort of certainty.

Still though, each week the votes DO get harder and harder for me, and each week I truly believe it is the best lineup I have ever seen. That has to count for something.

You're not the first person to make this comment before. You know that. We hear it all the time, and that's what people tend to feel and believe on their own. I just believe that if they occasionally looked back, they might be as surprised at the quality of the old entries as I am.

It might just be a "fresh" factor.

Fark it, I don't know. I just blabbed a big huge bunch of crap that, in the end, means nothing, and got us nowhere!:der:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:
Just for fun...here are the entries to the 4th Throwdown ever held, the category was "Seafood".

SpammyQ

attachment.php

thirdeye​

SeafoodThrowdown3.jpg

N8man​

attachment.php

thillin​

IMG_0198.jpg

Butts-n-gutts​

attachment.php

JD McGee​

IMG_4840.jpg

Mad Max​

attachment.php

hav​

DSC04350_Lo_Lo_Res.jpg

midnight​

attachment.php

Meat Burner​

attachment.php

River City Smokehouse​

Seafood002w.jpg

Mr. Bo​

image20.jpg

Pork Smoker​

Picture065.jpg

Qcrue2U​

Picture102.jpg

milehigh​

fish012.jpg

Bacon​

DSC_0186.jpg

ipls3355​

seafood1.jpg

cmcadams

2797846955_d2f178ee6a_o.jpg

...and...one last photo...

This one was voted the best photo from the first years worth of Throwdowns. At that time, there was a dream to have a calendar with the thirteen best winning photos (determined by vote), with the best one of those thirteen (also decided by vote) gracing the cover. Sadly, the ability to print the calendars at the cost that made sense fell through due to absolutely nobody's fault, so the whole thing went to chit, after I collected a chitload of money and had to refund it, costing me a little bit in money, but a lot of time and headache.

This was the one voted to be the cover shot. It is the winning entry from the 2nd Throwdown, the category was "Pork".

I believe this is one of the most stunning food photos ever. It might beat most anything even today.

butts1005aw1.jpg

Los Angeles is certainly the food truck capitol of the world. First it started some years ago with taco trucks, then there was a proliferation of all kinds of food trucks that served up everything from Indian food, BBQ, grilled cheese sandwiches, and yes, even more taco trucks.

taco_truck_highlandpark.jpg

Some taco trucks have considerable followings that include people who drive a great distance to get their taco fix, and usually it’s for the ubiquitous carne asada, or pork al pastor. What seems to be scarce however, are chicken tacos. Perhaps chicken tacos aren’t as sexy as pork or steak, but done properly they are magnificently delicious, especially when those chicken tacos are served on fresh piping hot homemade tortillas.

I normally marinate chicken I plan to use for tacos in the same kind of marinade I use for carne asada, which consists of orange juice, cilantro, onion slivers, and seasoned salt, but this time I decided to make roadside chicken tacos. I’ve never done this before, and I imagined they would be delicious, especially adding some of the crispy chicken skin to the chopped up chicken would produce a most savory result. HERE you can find a cook and recipe for roadside chicken if you’ve never seen it before.

First, we started with a fresh young chicken, then cut it up and seasoned it with fresh cracked black pepper and seasoned salt:

DSC_0402.jpg

While the chicken sat for a while, I fired up the drum for hot and fast:

DSC_0407.jpg

Time to put the chicken on the drum:

DSC_0409.jpg

Every 5 mins I basted the chicken with the Roadside mop:

DSC_0408.jpg

Getting close:

DSC_0421.jpg

After I pulled the chicken from the drum, I let the chicken rest, and The Missus got down to business making the tortillas:

DSC_0420.jpg

We dissembled one of the chicken breasts, and sliced it up. It was quite moist!

DSC_0423.jpg

Finally, we prepared the tacos, accompanied street style with some pico de gallo, extra hot salsa roja, some radishes and a lime wedge, much as you’d get at an LA Taco Truck. An ice cold glass of Negro Modelo was mandatory, a perfect beer to wash down the hearty hot spicy goodness of the chicken tacos:

DSC_0433.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

Thanks for checking out my Roadside Chicken Tacos!

Please use last pic for TD entry, please.

Last edited:
Great entry Moose! We do have it made here when it comes to street food. I have done my share of chasing food trucks!

Thanks for taking all the time to put that together Chris... :thumb:

You bring up many valid points and observations. I hear what you and Bob are saying and I'm on the same page. I have gone back through the old posts a couple times in search of inspiration and have been amazed each time at what I see. :becky:

All I can say is that sometimes written words fail to convey true intention, or worse yet convey the wrong intention. That is truly the case in this example. :doh:

I took no offense Al, it is a valid opinion. I certainly have no idea what will win or not. I went a long while not even getting close. There are continually great entries. I still think Bob Briskets chili shot is one of the best food photos ever, I can't shoot chili to look edible, his looked so good.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....

Back