Smoked chicken wings 101?

R

Rocco05

I love me some smoked wings! What's the secret to juicy wings? The spice and sauce are secondary to me. I want em' smokey and juicy! Does anyone smoke them frozen, like deep frying? Or do you brine or marinate them for juicy goodness first?

Flour them, deep fry them, sauce them with Franks, and into the smoker for an hour. Simple and good.:cool:

I've heard of that method. Hmm... sounds like the best of bost worlds...

The wings that I had today (at Champagne BBQ, Hammondsport,NY) were awesome. They were so juicy. I thought Dinosaur BBQ's were pretty good, but these ones beat em,! They weren't breaded, but smokey and succulent!

Think I'll try smokin' some soon... Maybe I'll do half of em' brined and half un-brined and see which ones turn out juicier.

Brine brine brine. I brine them in a salt and brown sugar brine for about two hours, and then smoke them around 240 for 1-1.5 hours. You can sauce them if you want, but you definitely don't need to. Smokey, golden brown, and delicious.

I love me some smoked wings! What's the secret to juicy wings? The spice and sauce are secondary to me. I want em' smokey and juicy! Does anyone smoke them frozen, like deep frying? Or do you brine or marinate them for juicy goodness first?

You will most likely get several responses here. Sounds like you want all the best of all worlds without experimenting to see what works on your smoker. Huge difference. Spice and sauce as secondary is way off base. Need high temp, IMO. That is where your personal flavor comes into play. Wings without anything will be just chicken, so put them in the oven. Deep fried is fine if that is what you like. If you want bbq, spend some time searching on here and see if you find actually bbq.

Brine brine brine. I brine them in a salt and brown sugar brine for about two hours, and then smoke them around 240 for 1-1.5 hours. You can sauce them if you want, but you definitely don't need to. Smokey, golden brown, and delicious.

Seems like the skin wouldn't get crisp at 240.

I grill at high heat since I like a crispy skin.

What are your ratios for water, salt, and brown sugar for yoru brine?

I've made "grilled" wings before and they were good (without cremating them). But smoked wings taste better to me and are juicer. I tried to some some once and ended up over powering them with smoke. I'll cut back a little next time. I do like brined poultry.

I've never brined wings before, although I think I will add that to my list. I prefer smoked wings vs grilled. They are more tender and juicy and pick up a nice smoke flavor. I usually smoke them low, at 225, for an hr or two. then I pull them and place under a broiler to crisp the skin. about a minute before they are ready to be pulled from the broiler, I sauce them up and place back under the broiler for a minute to set the sauce. Works really well for me.

Back