First American Royal Experience

mobow

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What a time. I have judged the American Royal four or five times but did the cook thing this year. thanx to everyone here who has put up info in the past it helped me be prepared this year. We were on the dark side and I was a little nervous about that but it worked out ok. Friday night was chaos. People streaming by constantly at various stages of intoxication. It was like sitting on Bourban Street in New Orleans. I told the wife I was going to bring beads next year. She said "I don't think so!" We only had one WTF moment when a drunk walked up and took a leak on our truck tire. He was too drunk to utter a coherant sentence so I doudt he understood anything we were saying to him. Also our neighbors had some issus wih people jumping into their toilets. We began piling chairs up against the door so they had to struggle to get back out. Next year we are bringing paint ball guns. Did not get out and about to meet many of my fellow breathen. When I had the time during the invitational many looked busy so I left them alone. All in all a very good time. I will cook it again next year and I will return to the dark side at the same spot. As we said our goodbyes to our neighbors we all agreed that the dark is not a bad place if you have good neighbos that help watch out for one another. I had great neighbors with S.O.C. on one side and Pigleetz and Peepz on the other. keith

Last edited:
I was there all weekend volunteering, might have given you water Friday nite. Delivered Water Friday until it got to crowded to drive, Sat drove around on the invitational side and sold charcoal and ice, Sunday judged. Had a blast the whole weekend. Got to go home each nite and shower, that was the best part.

If you gave me water thank you much. I though that the delivery service was outstanding. Never was I in need of anything. I give the service a 9. One thing that did crack me up was the fact that the phone number for EMS service was the same as the phone number for beer devilery . gotta love it. keith

not to hijack your thread, but I was going to post a few tidbits of our first AR trip and figured since this thread was already up it would help out?

-First of all, WOW! WHAT A GREAT TIME! As many have said,everyone who gets the chance should go experience the Royal at least once!

-I organize an FBA contest and from an organizers viewpoint, I was thorughly impressed with how smoothly a contest of this magnitude ran! From the ambassadors, to the volunteers and everyone else that worked together like a well oiled machine to help make this contest a great event it was very impressive! My hat is off to them!

-My Dad told me as we were pulling out Sunday that he knew we had a great time because time literally flew by! We arrived Wed. evening and Sun was there before I knew it. I wish I would have had more time to go around and meet some more Brethren. I did get to hang out Thurs with several of you and let me say that it was great to finally put a face to a name.

-We had some great neighbors that helped make the week enjoyable!

-Friday we made a walk through the Dark Side. The fireworks were a nice touch and all of the parties and bands were a sight to behold but it wasn't as rowdy or wild as some of my friends had made it out to be? I'm sure that some of you that were cooking over there would beg to differ though.

-The rumor of needing a blocker and two runners wasn't true, or at least it wasn't a problem for us anyways? That was a relief!

-I had already decided that I wasn't going to beat myself up over the scores before I went, still it's very disheartening when you don't score as well as you would have liked (in any contest). I know there were some really great teams there and luck of the table also has a lot to do with it but I got hammered in brisket in both contests (114 inv./394 open). Not to brag, but having recieved the first and only perfect score in brisket in the FBA, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how to cook a good brisket. Obviously KCBS is not the FBA but still. Oh well, at least I can laugh it off!

-I think the drive back to FL sucked worse than the drive up. I don't know how we did it, but we managed over 2000 miles without a flat...that was a miracle!

-Congrats to all who heard their name called and especially the Winners!

not to hijack your thread, but I was going to post a few tidbits of our first AR trip and figured since this thread was already up it would help out?

-First of all, WOW! WHAT A GREAT TIME! As many have said,everyone who gets the chance should go experience the Royal at least once!

-I organize an FBA contest and from an organizers viewpoint, I was thorughly impressed with how smoothly a contest of this magnitude ran! From the ambassadors, to the volunteers and everyone else that worked together like a well oiled machine to help make this contest a great event it was very impressive! My hat is off to them!

-My Dad told me as we were pulling out Sunday that he knew we had a great time because time literally flew by! We arrived Wed. evening and Sun was there before I knew it. I wish I would have had more time to go around and meet some more Brethren. I did get to hang out Thurs with several of you and let me say that it was great to finally put a face to a name.

-We had some great neighbors that helped make the week enjoyable!

-Friday we made a walk through the Dark Side. The fireworks were a nice touch and all of the parties and bands were a sight to behold but it wasn't as rowdy or wild as some of my friends had made it out to be? I'm sure that some of you that were cooking over there would beg to differ though.

-The rumor of needing a blocker and two runners wasn't true, or at least it wasn't a problem for us anyways? That was a relief!

-I had already decided that I wasn't going to beat myself up over the scores before I went, still it's very disheartening when you don't score as well as you would have liked (in any contest). I know there were some really great teams there and luck of the table also has a lot to do with it but I got hammered in brisket in both contests (114 inv./394 open). Not to brag, but having recieved the first and only perfect score in brisket in the FBA, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how to cook a good brisket. Obviously KCBS is not the FBA but still. Oh well, at least I can laugh it off!

-I think the drive back to FL sucked worse than the drive up. I don't know how we did it, but we managed over 2000 miles without a flat...that was a miracle!

-Congrats to all who heard their name called and especially the Winners!

Glad you had a good time. The dark side is loud and full on Friday night but was very calm satuday night. Lot moe of a family crowd on Saturday.
I am still shaking my head on my scores some. I was lucky enough to get 12th in chicken which was a thrill and I am very happy with that but am kicking myself for some mental errors that cost me in my big meats. Had some temp issues that I coul not get resolved for about three hours so I delayed my time line about a hour to start checking my meats. Result was best tasting brisket I have ever made and way overcooked. Overal score took a hit it did have to take. I think the judges scored me accuratley. Another lesson learned. keith

Since you are telling about your experience on the cooks side of the house, I judged on Sunday for the open and there were a few things that did stand out at our table at least. All of the chicken we had was way over sauced. We had one entry that had burned the bottom and looked great on appearance till you picked it up then looked underneath and it was burned black. It was almost like it was dipped in sauce and held there to make sure it stayed on heavy, one of the guys at the table said he thought we were judging sauce not chicken. We were all CBJ's at our table also, one was a KCBS Rep from NY and one a CBJ from MASS, the rest of us were local. The Ribs we had, they also were heavily sauced but not as bad as the chicken, they were good and we had two that got all nines from everyone of us. The pork we had was fair, some did not have much taste at all, and the brsiket we had was dry. I know brsiket is had to keep moist so that is a tough one. Only had one brisket that had a very good beef flavor, the rest did not. And last but least, we had one DQ for the wrong lettuce. They put in red tip lettuce and Larry DQ'd them. All in all, we had some good BBQ and had a great time. Was one table away from being on the food network also, the guy from United Tastes of America was there all weekend doing a BBQ segment and said it would be on in Jan sometime. He was filiming at the judges table next to us. Congrats on not only the ones that won and walked, I admire everyone that attends a comp, especially this one. You guys are great in my book.

Glad you had a great time.
Yes the dark side is lively and interesting.
Much safer for you and everyone else if you just put a lock on the potty door.
I was there as Ambassador - at a different area of the grounds. Saw a lot of Brethren,
but missed you. Maybe next time.
Many factor influence judging, and people with little or no experience in KCBS are at
a real disadvantage by not knowing what is in favor or out of favor with boxes and
sauces.

Glad you had a great time.
Yes the dark side is lively and interesting.
Much safer for you and everyone else if you just put a lock on the potty door.
I was there as Ambassador - at a different area of the grounds. Saw a lot of Brethren,
but missed you. Maybe next time.
Many factor influence judging, and people with little or no experience in KCBS are at
a real disadvantage by not knowing what is in favor or out of favor with boxes and
sauces.
thanx for being a ambassador. I thought that was a great system. As for the porta-potties I was being tounque in check about the paint ball guns. On saturday all the toilets were moved to the back of the space and that solved all the problems, Hope to se you next year. keith

Keith, I'm sorry that I didn't get to your spot this weekend but it was good seeing both you & Susie (sp?). Maybe we can visit at the Bash next month or I'll see ya next year on the trail :grin:.

Keith, I'm sorry that I didn't get to your spot this weekend but it was good seeing both you & Susie (sp?). Maybe we can visit at the Bash next month or I'll see ya next year on the trail :grin:.
look forward to it Dave. Always good to see you. keith

Back