Catering for 50

G

Gerry D

Doing pulled pork, chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, drumsticks) skin on bone in, and beans. The only thing I'm having a problem with is the chicken. How much do I need? I have eight 3 to 5 pound chickens that I plan to cut up and use, giving me 16 each breasts, thighs and drumsticks. Do I need more? Thanks for all of the help.

Agreed. The original plan only yields 48 pc of chicken and some people may take more than one. I think the big packages of drumsticks at Sam's have 18 pc in them. That would make sure you have plenty and very little additional cost.

When serving 2 meats folks only need 1/8 chicken. If you have 8 whole chickens that will give you 64 servings. I split the chicken in half and cook as a half chicken. I then split the halves into leg and thigh quarters and breast and wing quarters. I then split the leg and thigh apart--and chop the breast quarter in two. Do not spend alot of money buying already cut up pieces---save money and do it yourself.

When serving 2 meats folks only need 1/8 chicken. If you have 8 whole chickens that will give you 64 servings. I split the chicken in half and cook as a half chicken. I then split the halves into leg and thigh quarters and breast and wing quarters. I then split the leg and thigh apart--and chop the breast quarter in two. Do not spend alot of money buying already cut up pieces---save money and do it yourself.

That is pretty much what I plan to do. Never though of cutting the breast in half though. Good idea. Does it matter which way you cut it? I like the idea of cutting the whole chickens myself. That way I can keep the backbones and wing tips for stock. :thumb:

Back