Need a little advice

jay185

Reaction score
I currently have a UDS and love it. I was thinking about making a double barrel smoker and wanted some opinions on it. Is it worth it? Will it be as reliable as the UDS? Thanks guys

I've not cooked on one but had a friend who built one. He really loved how well it worked.
If you do build one, please take pics. Thanks!

Last edited:
I was going to build one myself,but decided to do two double rack uds's. I ran across a thread that someone who is alot better in math than me said you get almost the same amout of cooking space in the dub uds as the double drum. Besides I only had 2 drums and you need three, one to cut up for the door.

Like this: ?

:hand: Nah! I'd much rather have 2 Seperate UDS

I have two grates in my UDS that I have used to smoke 4 racks of spareribs. I was looking for more room to do Turkey's without messing up my weber lid.

Build another UDS - single grate about 12-14-18" below top and cook 2 Turkey's standing Up. :mrgreen: you could probally cook 2 side by side or 4 standing up.

I just measured mine and grate is about 6" from top. I'm thinking I could just drill some holes lower and use my UDS but I thought the grate had to be a certain distance from fire basket.

My vote would be for another UDS...maybe do a Big Poppa so you can grill sear as well as smoke. The double barrel would look cool but not be near as efficient.

Turkeys/chickens will fit spatchcocked fine or upright with flat lid if your cooking grate is down to about 8" from the top.

I just measured mine and grate is about 6" from top. I'm thinking I could just drill some holes lower and use my UDS but I thought the grate had to be a certain distance from fire basket.

6-8-10" above fire basket - add a difusser 2-4-6" above fire basket.

I was thinking maybe I could just add a rack on mine 9" down. That would give me three racks at 3-6-9". Would I still need a diffuser? Also is there a way to "force" a weber lid to fit?

If weber is too small guys will rivet , weld or screw a 1-2" flat piece of metal inside the drum top and the a Weber sits on that. My UDS has 3 racks - the bottom hold large cake pan for water pan/ Difusser the top 2 are for cooking. You don't have to have a a Diffuser but it helps even out temps from outside to center - 50* hotter in center without but only. 20-25* with one. Closer the cooking grate is the more a Difuuser may help against flare up, hotspots etc. Difusser can be a pizza pan with a bunch of holes drilled in it.

My vote would be for another UDS...maybe do a Big Poppa so you can grill sear as well as smoke. The double barrel would look cool but not be near as efficient.

Turkeys/chickens will fit spatchcocked fine or upright with flat lid if your cooking grate is down to about 8" from the top.

Do you own stock in BPS? Glad you like the BPS so much but Any UDS can be set up to grill on with ease, especially if you have two cooking racks. Put coals on lower cooking rack... Food on upper.

Found this on craigslist. Guy wants $20 for it and used it as a heater. What do you guys think?

IMG_20131206_121318.jpg

If it ain't rusted thru its worth $20 easy - just UDS is easier to cook on and uses less fuel.

Just looking for something different. Figured with a few parts its well worth 20 bucks. Cant get the barrels for that.

Well I went ahead and bought it. The guy delivered it tonight so I really haven't had a chance to look at it. The outside is pretty rusty but I think it is just surface rust. The bottom isn't rusted out but looks like there may be a couple places starting to. I figure just elevate the fire off the floor and it should last a little longer. Was also thinking about putting some sheet metal down in the upper barrel to make a type of reverse flow. Would I still be able to use charcoal or would I need to use wood?

I wish you luck in my limited experience I have found the Big Baby design to be a serious fuel hog.

The drums have the lids with the locking rings. I figure in the upper barrel I can use that to access the meat instead of cutting a door in it. Make racks that I can slide in and out. That should help to keep it airtight like my uds.

Back