• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone ever cooked a "Mystery Meat" category?

ammoore

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Doing a one day contest this weekend and one of the categories is "Mystery Meat". The organizers are provididing an entry for the contestants to prepare. Here's the hitch, We get the item at 11:00 and turn in is at 1:00. Presentation rules are very loose but to use it in your turnin you must have it present in your spot by 11:00 (no running to the store after the mystery is revealed.). At turn in you do a little 3 min presentation on your entry...

Has anyone else ever done something like this at a contest? With a two hour window for prep and cooking I can't imagine that it would be something too off the wall....

I'm not really expecting Kangaroo tail or anything....although that would be pretty awesome.
mmmm deep fried kanga-tail wrapped in bacon......

We had a mystery meat unveiled a couple years back that turned out to be flap meat.
The winner wrapped strips of it around lobster tails.
shiner.gif

Guess I need to think a little further outside the box.
My immediate thought would be to make the enty the main component.
Although, nobody ever said it had to be.....

I was hoping to be able to do that comp, but then I blew out a couple of tires on my truck. That pretty much sucked my entire comp budget for the next several months. I'll be lucky if I can do the one I planned in April. :mad2:

I think the key to this one is going to be figuring out in advance what the "Mystery Meat" is likely to be and then bringing some staple ingredients that would allow you to prepare it in a variety of ways.

Based on the sponsor, and looking at their catering menu, I'm betting it's one of three things:
Gator
Shrimp
Chicken wings

'Course I could be way off base. Still, I'm bummed that I won't be able to get in on this one.

Let us know how it goes and what the Mystery Meat acutally was!

Yes the event is at Roadhouse 61 but the "mystery meat" category is actually being sponsored by Costco. My team will not be cooking this contest as we had some other things lined up already. If I were cooking it however I would bring a good variety of spices, sauces, and heck maybe a cook book or 2!

Your mind seems to be in the right place, with a 2 hour wind its gotta be something fast...

We had tongue as the mystery meat in Mexico last year. Received it after the cooks meeting and turned it in after brisket the next day.

Yes the event is at Roadhouse 61 but the "mystery meat" category is actually being sponsored by Costco. My team will not be cooking this contest as we had some other things lined up already. If I were cooking it however I would bring a good variety of spices, sauces, and heck maybe a cook book or 2!

Your mind seems to be in the right place, with a 2 hour wind its gotta be something fast...

I was hoping Roadhouse 61 was sponsoring the meat, I was narrowing it down in my head. However, I'll just bring a couple of cookbooks, spices and we'll See how it works out.

Even with a cookbook or two, I'm not sure I would know what to do with tongue.

Even with a cookbook or two, I'm not sure I would know what to do with tongue.

That's what Google is for. We Googled how to cook it and adapted it to the smoker. It was really a fun category.

Hmmmm... never seen gator @ Costco. But seen plenty of shrimp & wings. Crab legs too now that I think of it.

Yep. I'd have stuff to make a gumbo. Dutch oven in a kettle cooker. That'd work for just about any seafood or chicken and you could really kick up the spice and flavor profiles.

Alternately, the same DO with a quart or two of veggie oil for frying...

DANG, I wish I could be there....:mad:

I haven't seen that at all around here, but it sounds like a LOT of fun!!! Good luck!

Looks like you guys are gonna have warm 40* weather on Saturday... perfect weather for ribs and mystery meat.

I was wanting to go to this as well,wife has a company function, so unable to be there. Good luck and lets us in on the mystery.

And the Mystery Meat was.......

Tri-Tip

Congratulations to TrueQue on the First Place Ribs and 2nd place overall finish.

The only time we cooked a Mystery Meat provided by a sponsor, it turned out to be Tri-Tip.

Here are the results. Congratulations to Trueque on the 1st Place Ribs, Missouri Shark Fishermans on the 1st Place Mystery Meat (Tri-tip) and to The Pork Assians for GC. Beautiful day for a contest, got up to almost 50 degrees.

http://www.stlouisbbqsociety.com/images/Freeze_Q_Results.xls

AWESOME! Way to go guys. Tri Tip huh? Hmm. Gotta say I'm a little surprised. I would have thought it would have been something a little more challenging. But then maybe I watch too much "Chopped". :redface:

I think for the midwest tri-tip was a good first year mystery meat since it is not as popular as other regions. It was also a first year event. I would expect it to become more inventive in the years to come.

Back