• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Traeger vs green egg !! Best for ccoking?

nathand2004

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a smoker/grill what is the better unit a large green egg or the traeger lil tex. I have looked at both and watched a demo at a grill store but I need an all around good smoker and cooker.
Any advice? :icon_cool

my advice - make a list of what you want to cook, how much and how often and then ask the question again.

Ribs pork 4-5 times a month
Brisket 1-2 times a month
Full chickens monthly
and turkeys a few times a year.

Last edited:
I am partial to the Traeger. It can cook all your favorites with great ease and results.

Nothing wrong with either - most all of us would be proud to have either of them. But like other things, you may find out that one is better at something then the other - while the other outshines at something else.

They are both great cookers, but each may require slight differences in cooking approach.

Find out how hot you can get the Traeger - that might be a determining factor for grilling.

I would say the BGE...

My only limitation would be the quantity you can fit on it but there are ways around that problem too...

I'd vote for the pellet pooper.

I've used a WSM for years and love it, but I find myself cooking much more often on my Country Smoker because it is so much easier.

I wouldn't turn a BGE down by any means, I just think the Traeger would find more use.

Look at a 5 year old egg and look at a 5 year old Traeger and you will see the difference. Ceramic will last years longer that steel.
Traegers after about a few years of weathering look pretty bad. The quality ain't what it used to be.

You can cook a vatiety of things on an egg from briskets to bread. Pizza? Done. Can't do that on a Traeger.

I have a Large BGE and a Country Smoker CS-570 (a pellet pooper like the Traeger). If you're going to want to grill (high heat), do pizza, or bake bread, I'd suggest the egg. I cook about equally on both and both are excellent cookers.

I have both obviously and both work great for different things. Space is the problem with the egg and longevity is the traeger's problem. If I had to choose I most likely would go with the egg, but that's because it's my latest aquisition and it looks so cool ! LOL

on the egg (or any ceramic) you can smoke for 30 plus hours on a load, bake, grill (at 800 degrees), and anything in between. I think the egg is more versatile, but you are limited (a bit) on space

You can cook a vatiety of things on an egg from briskets to bread. Pizza? Done. Can't do that on a Traeger.

I can...I must have a magical Traeger!
Actually, Billy (Fatboyz) and I did a chocolate cake once on a Traeger using pecan... It came out good I have to say (but I still vote for the BGE).

Egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg egg

Back