Where are all the Comp folks?

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I remember spending almost as much time here in comp talk as I did in Q talk.
Now there is almost no interaction between teams or chit chat amongst members.
Is this due to cutbacks in comp participation or is all the traffic moved to other media? Is there some Facebook sites I'm not aware of or other meeting areas teams gather?

One or two threads a week is well just weak.
Ed

This is a big weekend in comp BBQ; The American Royal is taking place, and there are many local comps happening also, I'm betting it's because most teams are committed and cooking this weekend. Just a guess.

• Thanks
Reactions: LTG
I have noticed for some time that the conversation here on this forum has been somewhat reduced. Not knowing a lot of rhe names, etc, I can't tell if the folks are comp cookers or backyard cookers.

Just an observation.

I know for me it is summer in Florida and the number of comps are reduced due to heat. I have other interests in the summer, I have 2 vintage race bikes that I hit a few races in the North East with so it takes me away from comp bbq.

Also the total number of available competitions is down so I think for those of us that normally did 5-6 a year have lost a couple of our regular contests that were on our favorite lists so it has slowed me down even more. Plus I bought another bike to build for next year so my comp money for this year is going into that so I am not looking at any comps until the new year.

I am as interested as before but life get's in the way occasionally. I drop by daily and actually thought to myself the other day that participation in the comp section was down myself. Hopefully cooler weather will change that.

Forums like this ebb and flow. My lack of participation lately has been because newer members come in asking all the same questions as others in the past instead of actually using the search function. Always looking for the instant gratification of winning recipes instead of earning their stripes through trial and error like most of the experienced cooks have done. I have no problems sharing a few general tips, especially in Q-Talk, but I am generally tired of all the shortcuts members are asking for.

What BruceB said. IMO comp bbq is a lot more competitive nowadays. Many of the heavy hitters that used to post retired or are semi retired.

The great battle of Smithfield prime vs extra tender of 2016 ended up in a tie at Bentonville with Primes taking the tiebreaker. This was the last good controversial thread on here

I think because competition bbq is such a visual thing most conversations are in more picture friendly avenues like Facebook and Instagram. Our bbq team Facebook page has like 200 followers after 2 years and it took about a month to get to 900 on instagram.

Forums like this ebb and flow. My lack of participation lately has been because newer members come in asking all the same questions as others in the past instead of actually using the search function. Always looking for the instant gratification of winning recipes instead of earning their stripes through trial and error like most of the experienced cooks have done. I have no problems sharing a few general tips, especially in Q-Talk, but I am generally tired of all the shortcuts members are asking for.

This kind of comment baffles me.......not just here, but anytime I see it posted on other sites. And I’m not trying to be a dick. But I’m big message board kind of guy on several sites and lots of people do exactly what you say they do. Many threads do wind up being repeats of previous threads. But that never bothers me. And it is certainly not something that would cause me not to participate on a message board. Just skip the thread if you feel it is a retread. That seems like a reasonable solution to me. In addition, most sites have ****ty search features and many times folks have better luck just asking a new question and hoping they find folks willing to answer. For me, I love talking about comps and it bothers me not to try to help folks just getting started or wanting to upgrade. Imagine how daunting it would be to type in “comp trailers” into the search engine. It would take you days to sift through all of the posts about that subject and having no idea whether your specific question has been asked or answered in that sea of info. So I understand why newer members start a new thread and ask about their specific need. When I see the thread I either click on it or not, depending on my interest. But either way I don’t let it bother me.

As for shortcuts, I think us comp cooks at times send mixed messages. Lots of folks don’t feel comfortable sharing “trade secrets” online. And I get that. When you have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars in comp classes then it’s easy to have red ass when thinking someone wants you to share what you have learned for free. Especially online. However, at contests I have seen tons of folks share everything they know after hanging out a bit and drinking a few beers. So I think it depends on the situation. It is human nature to protect sensitive info when you are using that info to compete against people. But once again I understand why folks ask, I just choose what I feel comfortable answering and I either do or I don’t. I don’t get offended by the question. I mean when you have links on here posting cooking methods or trimming methods of meat from some of the top teams in the nation, which is fantastic by the way, and things like that, then how are newer comp cooks supposed to know what is ok or not ok to ask more experienced cooks? When you consider the money and time it takes to be competitive then I understand why people want to shorten the learning curves. For me, asking others and trying to read online didn’t move my knowledge along fast enough. So I took the plunge to invest more and took a few classes. I make enough money to piss it away like that. Lol. But I understand there are many others who will seek the info for free for various reasons. I’m just very selective in what I share. But I will tell you this, I do share some/alot because of others had not been generous with me I wouldn’t be able to cook as well as I do now.....which is still not very good but better than what it would have been without the help.

I quit because of all of the judge bashing. I rarely post on the Brethren anymore. I spend most of my time over on the three KCBS judges sites, and the BBQ turn in box site. They're all on Facebook.

I quit posting because the judges that knew everything was answering all the questions.....:p:biggrin1:

Don't worry. It will be November soon and the discussion around:

Judges coolers
Comment cards
Extra tenders

Will be starting up soon!

It's funny you mention this because this is true with our society in general. Technology has influenced us in a way where we all expect instant gratification. Now we have technology in bbq. Pellet smokers, digital devices to let us know when our meat is ready to pull off a smoker, etc... Throwing a stick of wood on a fire is too time consuming so people battle over pellet smokers vs stick burners. There needs to be a time when we disconnect from technology. I believe bbq is that time.

Last edited:
It is funny what you can find with the search function. It is often overlooked.
Just for fun I searched a username. I fell down the rabbit hole into Wonderland. Now to decide red or blue pill. Never have seen the information before but I am going to try it out. I am certain alot of you won't know what the heck I am talking about. Try the red pill.

I've read some judge bashing, cook bashing, teams at the top of comp bbq freely sharing info, and some new teams that would be fine with having others do everything but box their entry for them.

Nothing has changed over the years. We know more about judges 6 and 5 than we used to. We know about ET pork from Smithfield, and that some guy out west is unfairly tilting the playing field by hand picking teams to develop injections (I kid Sterling, I kid!!!!;).

It is what it is, and people continue to cook, judge, ask questions, and offer advice. There just seems to be more sleep involved, and less beer than there used to be. The amount of manufactured drama remains about the same.

I've read some judge bashing, cook bashing, teams at the top of comp bbq freely sharing info, and some new teams that would be fine with having others do everything but box their entry for them.

Nothing has changed over the years. We know more about judges 6 and 5 than we used to. We know about ET pork from Smithfield, and that some guy out west is unfairly tilting the playing field by hand picking teams to develop injections (I kid Sterling, I kid!!!!;).

It is what it is, and people continue to cook, judge, ask questions, and offer advice. There just seems to be more sleep involved, and less beer than there used to be. The amount of manufactured drama remains about the same.

Amen!

You know I cooked the AR Open after taking dang near a year off. Never bothered me to not be cooking, but those couple good luck shots I had Sunday morning tasted damn good. I might have to see if I can find another comp to do before the season is over and the winter late night typing starts.

Back