Auditing/Training CBJ Instructors

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
No one has more impact on KCBS competition BBQ than the CBJ instructors. They shape and mold those that will soon determine the fate of dozens of competition teams. I've heard crazy things coming from CBJ instructors like "white meat will be dry" or "brisket cut thinner than a #2 pencil is undercooked and tough". :eek:

Does the board know what is being instructed? Is there a "train the trainer" course for CBJ instructors? Do Board members audit CBJ courses to monitor what is being instructed?

No one has more impact on KCBS competition BBQ than the CBJ instructors. They shape and mold those that will soon determine the fate of dozens of competition teams. I've heard crazy things coming from CBJ instructors like "white meat will be dry" or "brisket cut thinner than a #2 pencil is undercooked and tough". :eek:

Does the board know what is being instructed? Is there a "train the trainer" course for CBJ instructors? Do Board members audit CBJ courses to monitor what is being instructed?

Hi Todd, good question.
White meat will be dry? Not my white meat. I have not heard that.

There is a part of the class discussing brisket. The instructor will indicate that cook may adjust his/her product by the slice thickness. If it is too tender, a thinker cut. If it is tough, a thinner cut. This discussion is part of the "pull test" for brisket.

The #2 pencil is an IBCA standard, not KCBS.

The board does not audit classes. However, I know that Ed from time to time audits classes and critiques the class. If he receives a comment which is of concern he will contact the instructor.

On the Board there are 5 of the 13 instructors. So while there is not a formal audit, the board is connected into the cbj instruction and its content.

Merl

I don't see the need to discuss the thickness of brisket slices. By doing so, you are setting a predisposition with the judges before they've even tried the food. You can't judge tenderness by appearance... at least not in KCBS.

Ed has, and I believe still is, using the #2 pencil standard in his classes.

The IBCA does not have a standard. The rules say the slices should be between 1/4" and 3/8" thick. The #2 pencil analogy is a reference given at the cooks meetings for the benifit of new cookers not judges. If the head judge takes the tray at the turn in table then it gets judged.

Something should be done to help standardize the judges into thinking the same thing.
When I went through the training, I was also told about the size of a pencil.
If that is what they want to say then all instructors should be on the same page.

The primary points that I want to make is that CBJ instruction should be as uniform as possible and provide a basis for how KCBS contests are to be scored.

How about some Computer Base Training (CBT) modules (aka instructional videos) on the KCBS Web site highlighting some key take aways from the courses? This wouldn't replace instructed certification, at least not yet. The online videos could serve as refreshers for CBJ's and cooking teams.

- Definition and examples of boxes with six identifiable pieces (some new judges still don't get that a pile of pork is enough for six judges.
- Examples of DQ entries: garnish, marking, sculpting, pooling sauce, etc.

Just as a couple of examples.

My instructor mentioned the #2 pencil deal about brisket, but he said to not judge the brisket on the thickness of the slice. He said some cooks have started turning in thick slabs of brisket the last couple of seasons because it looks good in the box and it doesn't have anything to do with it being overcooked.

There is a powerpoint presentation which is being developed with Ed Roiths guideance. Once this is released it will be used in ALL CBJ classes. It may not be until early 2009 but it is in the works.

Back