judge and critique my chicken

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Please let me know what you think. It is not my best chicken ever but did not deserve some of the scores it recevied.

Last edited:
I've not judged but I'd go an 8 at least. Looks tasty!

From the apperance only I think I would give it a 8 probably. It looks pretty good. Maybe the pieces could be a little more uniform in size but other than that I don't see anything wrong with it.

Trim off that little tab on the bottom of the center piece. More uniform on the size. I would go with 8 pieces so as to even out the box. Being nit pickey as it looks real good!

I understand maybe the two sixes and thanks for the eights, but the farking wtf????

Ok I wanted to post three times and walked away because i didn't want to judge a friends box poorly. knowing you though I figured you would be mad if I didn't so here it goes.

I would rate you a 6-7 depending on aroma. To me the color turns me off a bit which could be the picture. To explain the color isn't "bright" and inviting it has a dullness even though its shiny. The pieces are a bit haphazard in placement which would immediately drop you out of an 8-9 from me. I look for a clean skin as well. I look for that nice white skin below the dressing. Yours shows me a lot of speckling which I immediately question what it is which takes me away from the meat and into speculation. It seems to be large pepper grind or seeds. Possible from the rub or sauce. Thats being super critical of it.

Now don't get me wrong cause I'd still be proud of the entry and would love to know the other scores.

I would rate you a 6-7 depending on aroma.

We're talking about appearance, right? Aroma has nothing to do with appearance. Or am I missing something?

OC, I'd say an 8 as well. I'm not sure about the arrangement of the pieces in the box. That lone piece at the bottom and the two large green areas keep drawing my eye away from the rest of the box. Also, and this may just be the pictures, but the sauce looks too thick to me.

Having said that, I hate giving out scores based on pictures. The picture is there to stare at and it is so easy to find little things that I probably wouldn't have noticed in the 20 seconds or so that the box is in front of me in a real judging situation.

I scored it a 5... I couldn't really give it a good score. The damn thing was so shiny, I got a serious glare. Now I am seeing those little white dots in my vision.... :roll:

Nothing worse than a 8 in my book...

My question on seeing such inconsistent scores would be, what was the CBJ percentage at that contest? And were these experienced CBJs, or newly-minted ones from a class the night before? Not that I'd always rush first to blame the judges, far from it -- but when somebody's dishing a 5 on appearance on the same entry that there's 8s...

Well first off, let me say that I am not a judge, so not sure what they are lookin for here. I would say that to me, looks like they were heavely sauced, prolly just the camara pic. also noticed right off the different sizes , Other then that, I'll be right over to eat them along with some sides. I'd be proud of them If I turned them out.

We're talking about appearance, right? Aroma has nothing to do with appearance. Or am I missing something?

I disagree. The smell becomes part of the presentation. When that box opens that the first sense stimulated. If it smelled like dog doo would you give it an 8?

Damn judges.... Scum I tell 'ya. Actually, if this box came across exactly as shown
(note: food gets moved/squashed in boxes between the time you arrange it and the
time it's opened for judging) on my table, initial look, I'm thinking 8. Shiny or not shiny
to me isn't a turn-off; but apparently to some it is. The speckles aren't a turn-off to
me either, although to one guy above it was. It looks (as best I can tell) like there's
a thumb print on one of them. You know, you can present the same entry next time and you'll get completely different scores. Try not to be too critical of yourself.

7-8
the only thing that I would say in critique is the non uniformity of the pieces, thats all.
Specs=rub whats wrong with that?

Aroma with presentation, well if it did smell like dog doo then you would call for the rep YIKES!
other than that...

I disagree. The smell becomes part of the presentation. When that box opens that the first sense stimulated. If it smelled like dog doo would you give it an 8?

I would if the appearance was excellent, as that is what you are judging. I see your point that the aroma can subconsciously affect how you score each category, just as the appearance affects persception of taste/tenderness, but I don't think it should enter the conscious realm to the point where you need to smell it to give an appropriate appearance score.

I would give it an 8. The sauce looks a tiny bit uneven, and the front piece to me is a little awkward all by it's lonesome, but I do wish I had Tastavision installed on my monitor so I could take a bite. ;-)

Back