• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Temp on brisket

Is It Ready Yet?

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok...I did a practice cook yesterday. Put my 14 packer on at 9am. By 4pm it was showing a 195 degree internal temp. I can't explain how it could be done in 7 hours. I cooked in a spice wine at 235 degrees. I use a thermal pen to check temp. I may have to get another temp gauge on my cooker.

How long have you been cooking on the spicewine? I think my TnT is similar in insulated similarly (though not 100% on that) and when I started smoking on it I found it smokes faster at the same temperature vs my WSM. Especially the large cuts of meat like brisket and butts. I normally cook between 230-250 and had a 10.5lb brisket finish in 8hrs. So was wondering if you have seen this a lot.

I have been cooking on for about 6 months. I have done shoulders and ribs and seem to jive with what I would expect time wise. I did a flat a couple of weeks ago and it took the same time.

I have never had a brisket that size run up the temperature that fast, and I cook at the same temp. Did you check the brisket temp in several different places? (you might have hit a fat pocket in the point?).
Or, its possible that your spicewine temp gauge is off. Could just be a freak brisket but I doubt it. Strange.

3 weeks ago i had a 18 lb packer finish in 7 hrs. i cook at 235 in a stumps. it was done at 2 am at a contest. not good. 1o hr rest. it was also the first time i cooked a 50 day wet aged brisket, dont know if that had anything to do with it.

Two questions

1) Were you measuring temp based on door temp or other temp device ?

2) Was the brisket close to the upper wall getting the radiant heat ?

Reason I ask, that as a former owner of medium spicewine, I know these two variables can impact estimated time for doneness.

Two questions

1) Were you measuring temp based on door temp or other temp device ?

2) Was the brisket close to the upper wall getting the radiant heat ?

Reason I ask, that as a former owner of medium spicewine, I know these two variables can impact estimated time for doneness.

Agree. The higher shelf and further back in my medium it gets hotter. And I use it to my advantage. :becky: I don't use water in the water pan, not sure if it would affect the guage if you do.

Back