Grill materials Aluminium vs. Steel?

Cuebie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a reason all the heavy-duty pro smoker's and grills are made of steel, but is there a reason more grills/smokers aren't made of heavy guage aluminium?

Strength? Cost? etc...

Best Regards,

Ian H.

Thanks Mklade,

What if it were anodized, powder-coated or painted with high-temp stuff like steel is?

Aluminium also dissipates heat quickly, that is why it is used as a heat sink in electronic components such as cpu/memory coolers, automobile engine controllers etc...did you ever notice how quickly an aluminium pot or pan cools more quickly than an iron or stainless steel pan? Aluminium also warps easily.

I read a really interesting article about why aluminum is bad but I can't remember what it was about.

I would think the cost of an anodized aluminum BBQ would be pretty high, considering what even a small pan costs.

Standard steel starts to lose strength at around 750 F. Standard aluminum starts loosing strength at about 400F.

I would think the cost of an anodized aluminum BBQ would be pretty high, considering what even a small pan costs.

From a scrap value perspective, steel is a fraction of the value of aluminum.
0.13 per pound vs 0.70 per pound.

What about the portable kitchen grill? Isn't it all aluminum?

If you wouldn't use aluminum for your still don't use it for your grill.

Would it still be ok to put aluminum pans for a baffle and tuning plates?
im seeing lots of people do that instead of using steel wether they cant weld or cant cut the steel to size.

Back