How many Digital Thermometers

HossBackyard

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I will be cooking 5 pork butts on a WSM in 2 weeks (3 on top rack and 2 on bottom). How many digital thermometers am I going to need to monitor the cook? Can I get away with 2- one for a top rack butt and one for a bottom rack butt- and assume that the other meats will be close to the same temp?

Hoss, I know we've all gone techno-geek nowadays, but still butts are done when they're done, regardless of monitoring and internal temps, etc. You dont have to use any, however, that said, I do myself have and on occasion use 2 Maverick's. I think you'll be fine with just 2.

When I cook multiple butts I use two thermometers. I put one in the biggest butt and one in the smallest butt.

You could do it many ways. For pulled pork with a lot of butts I probe the smallest so when it hits 195 that is a good indicator to check it for doneness, but also that the others should be close behind. Then I just use a regular thermometer for the rest.

I would put a single thermometer in the butt most likely to be done first. I wouldn't bother with more than one thermometer when all meat is the same kind.

When I do multiple butts, I just use 1 thermo probe and that it for grate temperature. The butts will be done when they are done and I can wiggle the bone free. I just check for doneness with the bone wiggle test.

I would put a single thermometer in the butt most likely to be done first. I wouldn't bother with more than one thermometer when all meat is the same kind.

That's what I do. Partially because I only have one Maverick :wacko:

Thanks for the quick responses! One follow up question: how do you check doneness without a thermometer when using Costco boneless butts (and there is no bone to wiggle)?

I will be cooking 5 pork butts on a WSM in 2 weeks (3 on top rack and 2 on bottom). How many digital thermometers am I going to need to monitor the cook? Can I get away with 2- one for a top rack butt and one for a bottom rack butt- and assume that the other meats will be close to the same temp?
0 Zip Nada None

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!
For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

Back