Ridiculously long brisket cook post, Wagyu, Piedmontese, Angus

Whoa there big guy! Chuck makes for a tasty hamburger. Wagyu is just too fatty and not rendered when grilled. It seems to me that a lower fat, grass fed, double muscle, extremely wobbly piece of awesome meat might just do ok for a burger... Gotta whisper in Tim's ear!

Nice write up Bob. I had heard of Piedmontese cattle before, but only in passing, and did not know much about the breed other than by name. 10 dollars per pound does not sound like too much for a special occasion at all. I see they've got free shipping for awhile too on that particular brand. Say hey to Rob! Is he ever coming back?

Man oh man, to have been a guest at that party… Brisket heaven for sure. It all looked fantastic. That Piedmontese really intrigues me.

Heritage Foods has them, along with some AMAZING bacon

Oh, I grew Padron peppers this year, and when they ripen, they are large, red and spicy. Not super hot, like almost hot enough to need a beer right away. But, we made giant ABT's out of them, and they were incredible.

Pimientos de Padron are an extremely common tapas in Spain. The peppers are green and about 1.5-2" long. They are fried. They are notorious there because they are mild and sweet, but one in 10 is very hot. It is like playing the lottery, and an order of these at the table is like a game. How peppers come out depends strongly on growing conditions, so you might not have had this effect with yours.

Bob, I really want to try a Piedmontese.... That looks great and you have me hankering for one... Buy 3 and it is free shipping!

Bob, I think you may have gotten it all wrong. I'm not sure where you might have gotten it all wrong, but I'm sure the experiment needs repeating and you need Marty and me there to act as fair and impartial observers. I think it is essential to do this the week of December 8-13. Marty and I will make sure you don't fark it up this time. :thumb:

I don't know Guerry, Rob is two kids and one in the oven into life, and I suspect that he is fully engaged in getting to the next day. He does check in here and snoop around.

Well, yes Gore, keep me tuned in, I am sure there can be some kind of brisket experiment in the offing. I know that Rob and I were discussing the idea of a 13-14 pound Piedmontese packer. I am a firm believer that if you want the best cook you want to be in the 14 pound range going on to the smoker. We are also wanting to try a brisket that is rated better than the SRF Black Label brisket we got. Perhaps a Platinum label, or what I want, is a Strube brisket from BPS. I really want to cook with a Strube Ranch Wagyu, after talking with the owner on this forum, I know that has to be the next step.

Well, yes Gore, keep me tuned in, I am sure there can be some kind of brisket experiment in the offing. I know that Rob and I were discussing the idea of a 13-14 pound Piedmontese packer. I am a firm believer that if you want the best cook you want to be in the 14 pound range going on to the smoker. We are also wanting to try a brisket that is rated better than the SRF Black Label brisket we got. Perhaps a Platinum label, or what I want, is a Strube brisket from BPS. I really want to cook with a Strube Ranch Wagyu, after talking with the owner on this forum, I know that has to be the next step.

Well, I'm in, and Marty is too! No, I haven't talked with Marty, but I'm sure he's in! I'll keep you posted -- I've got two talks, but that leaves at least three dates open. There's also the possibility of the first Sunday, so as not to interfere with anyone's work schedule. :thumb:

Very nice job Bob (& smokejumper)! Great experiment and write up. Admittedly, my first thought when I read "Piedmontese" was "they raise cattle in Piedmont, CA??" :loco:

I immediately went to SRF to price out a brisket. I thought $110 isnt so bad until i priced out shipping which came to about $70. OUCH. I want it but cant justify that price. Thanks for the excellent write up.

They look and sound delicious Bob! I'm a Piedmontese fan too.

This is why I love this forum!

Excellent job and tutorial, Bob and Rob!!

Back