• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best Lump and Best Briquette

Gettinit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tried to bump a thread but it was too old.

Like the title says; what do you think and why?

Last thing on the other thread someone asked how Trader Joe's stacked up against Stubb's.

I have used both the Trader Joes (made by Rancher) and Stubbs and they are both about the same. I use Trader Joes all the time since there is a store on the way home from work and its easy to get it there and I always pick up some other stuff there too

But with winter coming its going to disappear in the store until spring

Both are High quality briqs in my opinion

I like the Trader Joe's/Rancher briqs, as well as Royal Oak briqs.

I love WG and B&B lump, but I don't think I can get those around where I live anymore, so I'm back to buying RO lump, which I like as well.

What do you all think about the lump briquettes vs standard? Also, now that they make lump briquettes, is the time and burn uniform since they are the same size? This seemed to be a reason why smokers seemed to prefer briquettes vs. lump.

What do you all think about the lump briquettes vs standard? Also, now that they make lump briquettes, is the time and burn uniform since they are the same size? This seemed to be a reason why smokers seemed to prefer briquettes vs. lump.

Lump briquettes? = oxy moron!? WTF is that?

I use kebroak lump delivered to my door courtesy of ups via amazon good heat also not lots of ash and will burn slow if you want just don't start a roaring fire and then wonder why it wont low and slow for 16 hrs

For me, it comes down to what is available locally. Currently I have Wal Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot to choose from. Wal Mart carried Royal Oak lump and it seems great for lump. For briquettes I like the Stubb's that is readily available at Lowes. I am keeping an eye out for Royal Oak briquettes, but haven't seen them. Supposedly a Menards is moving into this area and might offer me a few more choices. I do stock up on KBB when it goes on sale and use it on less important cooks. You just can't beat it for $.25 a pound!

I agree with Stubbs. It works well and there is almost no ash to clean up. It also burns very clean.

I'm not a briquette fan. For lump, The Good One is my favorite, but Kamado Joe, Royal Oak, Big Green Egg, Primo, Fire King and Ozark Oak are good. I personally avoid Cowboy and Frontier.

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and there briquette gets top marks a but more $$ but a lot more burn time. RO is good but burns twice as fast so you need twice as much. Thats what hard to figure out. The cost per cooking time. Alot works good if your not worried about cost.

Clint

Back