View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
Meat & Heat
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
On a preheated cooker and then adding a fully filled basket with lump charcoal (20 lbs) it will easily 12-24 hrs. That is largely dependent on the load of meat your cooking. To maintain temps in a smoker that has 16 pork butts, 80% capacity will use alot more fuel to maintain 275 than it will to maintain with i only 4 pork butts. I cooked 75 chicken halves on it a few weeks ago and it used about 10lbs of wicked good and I split of pecan according to my best guesses. There is no water IMO needed in the vault for moisture. With food in it, and if it's under any type of awning or roof, it will actually make water drip from the roof. Some people use the vaults as is from the factory, I did not. I calibrated the door therm to the center grate temp which was 50 degrees off (Hott) some say that their vault full of water will settle around 250 or so but I think it's the error in the door therm. I have done "empty smoke" testing with water on all shelves and I never could get the pit over 210 degrees full of water with a blazing fire. To each is own, this is not my opinion on the water vs dry cooking on the vault, these are facts after extensive testing with high grade equipment and a little common sense.

What thermo do you use?
Do you run a fan on the intake or just adjust as needed?
I think the fan would be neat to have but am worried about having one more thing to go wrong or battries to die in the middle of the cook and kill everything.
Meat & Heat is offline   Reply With Quote