packing charcoal tight

bluzieq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Will packing the charcoal in really tight instead of just pouring in the basket make it last longer? Basket is 15*15*6 inches.cooked 5 large butts on the abs bar be cube using guru set at 250. On at 11:45 at 3:30 it had dropped down to 205, had lasted checked it at 2:30 it was 250 then.using best choice brand hardwood briquettes . It was all gone,is that about normal?
It was in a maze also.

If you pack it in, you will...
1. be able to fit more in the basket, which should
2. create less space for air, resulting in slower burn

Are you using Minion method for starting?

You're likely right....I forget about briquettes, have been using almost exclusively lump lately, except sometimes when just grilling as opposed to smoking. But I think tamping them down when loading still might help some.
Not sure about that brand. maybe try a natural briquette? kingsford competition or the like?

I leave a space in one end of maze abt 5/6 inches pour lit charcoal there.I would rather use lump if it wouldn't burn too hot.

Forget all that MAZE BS! Load that basket up and do a straight minion start and go drink a few cold ones. I burn lump for everything Grilling & Smoking in the UDS it gives me excellent burn times and outstanding temp control. I can get 20 + hrs on my UDS my basket is 17X8. Just pack it in with 4-5 man-fist sized chunks of wood dump *8-15 cheap azz (*depending on my target temp) hot briquettes on top and let 'er rip

Yeah, folks make stuff so farken complicated. I try to follow the KISS principle :roll:

You can't how wrong with the minion method. I stick a #10 can with both ends cut off in the center of my grill basket, pack the lump charcoal around it with some big "man fist" size chunks of wood, heat up a full chimney of coals and pour it into the #10 can and then CAREFULLY pull the can out. Gets up to 20 hours of low burn in one basket.

I've carefully packed my charcoal basket, and I've lazily poured charcoal in there. I didn't notice any difference, except it took longer when packing it in.

Matt

Back