TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

Does a spatchcocked turkey cook quicker? All my other turkey cooks took about three hours or so.

Inject what I am putting Harvest Brine on mine and that may be it I may put a rub on the skin for color and taste but nothing extra to the meat

Alright, so you guys sold me on this Harvest Brine and I just ordered it. I couldn't decide what cooker to use, so i'm doing one spatchcocked on the GMG and one whole on the PBC using their hanger. Wegmans had enhanced Shadybrook Farms turkeys for .39/lb, so why not. Both will be dry brined and seasoned the same way. Thinking just some herb butter on the skin as well, but nothing too crazy. Both are in the 13lb range and will use applewood in the GMG and just a Lumberjack comp blend in the GMG.

I'm excited for the results :)

How I do it is spatchcock then harvest brine all over inside and out. I will put some under the skin where it is loose. I don't pull the skin to get it loose, just where it is loose from trimming. Personally I put more on the meat side than the inside. May or may not transfer through rib cage so I get most of it where it counts.Wrap tight in plastic wrap for time recommend on the packaging in relation to the weight. Get the smoker going and toss it on.

you can put it under the skin but if I remember Johns instructions it will permeate the skin. the 2 keys are time, a good 3 days, and to wrap it in plastic wrap.

I had always done a wet brine with great results.....was a PIA though, and messy....last year tried Harvest Brine ...tasty and for me was a lot easier to deal with!...Already ordered (and received lightning fast BTW!!) a big bag for this year...Fresh killed 24 pounder ordered for pick-up Tuesday before the big day, that will go in the oven....2 turkey breasts will get the Big Easy treatment!

So to do the Harvest Brine it needs to be on the bird for 2-3 days? I might be too late; havent ordered yet and i'm on the east coast. Would need to have it brined by tuesday at the latest?

I would order it today if I was going to. They get orders out faster than anyone else I order from. The only delay I had was from the post office once. I still received it within a week though.

I would order it today if I was going to. They get orders out faster than anyone else I order from. The only delay I had was from the post office once. I still received it within a week though.

Yeah just talked to John on FB and he said I should get it by Saturday if I order today. I have never dry brined so I'm excited. I didnt feel like messing with a wet brine so its settled. lol. Now i gots to find me a bird.

eta: also bought some qsalt!

Is there a general consensus on the Bird itself?

"Turkey" or "Hen".

Never went for a super fancy bird and my only experience with "Organic" was unremarkable.

Looks like I'll be cooking the Bird at home on Thanksgiving Day for the first time in many years. "Plan A" at this point will be Mad Max on the BGE. A couple of days in a wet brine. Always do it this way and never that difficult. Got one of those 5 gallon Igloo Drink coolers many years ago. Line it with a bag, put the bird in, cover it with brine. Throw a couple of frozen water bottles (plastic) in every few hours, rotating the old one(s) out until it's prep time.

I spatchcock, then I dry brine for two days uncovered to get the skin super dry. Day of cooking, I place it on the counter for 4-6 hours, with a 1 gallon bag of ice on the breasts. Right before it goes in the oven/smoker I place compound butter under the breast skin.

You don't need gravy for my turkey. I get the breast to 155, and the dark to 180-185. Yes all poultry dark meat turns out much better at that higher temp. Alo all turkeys I cook are in the 12-13 pound range.

then I dry brine for two days uncovered to get the skin super dry.

IMHO this is a mistake.

For the brine period (2-3 hours per pound for dry brine), you want to keep all the moisture that the salt pulls out of the bird, close to the skin so it gets pulled back in.

Try wrapping tightly in plastic wrap for brine period and then air dry for a few hours (this is plenty of time to dry skin) before smoking

You will find you get a significantly juicer (20% based on our tests) product keeping it wrapped tight during the brine.

Is there a general consensus on the Bird itself?

"Turkey" or "Hen".
Toms are castrated, so taste like a hen.

Basically, if you want a smaller bird, you're stuck with a hen. Larger birds are castrated toms.

Back