BBQ Brethren "Buffalo" Throwdown!

Wow, that is one gorgeous mouth watering buffalo ribeye there gore! I hope my steaks turn out that perfect. I suppose I need to get them on the kettle well before 6 p.m. what with the impending end of the world and all!:shock:

it didn't happen, I should have been in hell by now! ...

That is one gorgeous steak Gore. I've got my shoulder roast in a marinade to cook tomorrow. Not sure how I'm gonna do it though - obviously low and slow after an initial sear but haven't decided on the IT. There seem to be differing philosophies. Most are for pulled bison - but there are a few that suggest med-rare for slicing even on this cut...there appears to be zero connective tissue and almost no fat. In appearance it's almost like an eye of round.:confused:

Wow, that is one gorgeous mouth watering buffalo ribeye there gore! I hope my steaks turn out that perfect. I suppose I need to get them on the kettle well before 6 p.m. what with the impending end of the world and all!:shock:

Thanks Red, I'm sure yours will be every bit as good. There's a lot of flavor and the ones you have look beautiful.

That is one gorgeous steak Gore. I've got my shoulder roast in a marinade to cook tomorrow. Not sure how I'm gonna do it though - obviously low and slow after an initial sear but haven't decided on the IT. There seem to be differing philosophies. Most are for pulled bison - but there are a few that suggest med-rare for slicing even on this cut...there appears to be zero connective tissue and almost no fat. In appearance it's almost like an eye of round.:confused:

Thanks Guerry. I would be hesitant to do pulled bison just because it is so lean. For a roast, I really think I'd do a reverse sear on the rare side of medium-rare (probably just plain rare actually) and slice thin for sammies. For me, that's what eye of round is best for and I had the same feeling about this. Past medium rare, I think I'd be eating shoe leather. This is tougher than beef.

Well, I asked my husband what he'd like to have before the Apocalypse. I was really expecting a typical male response :icon_smile_tongue:, but he quite surprised me when he said :gossip: "I'd like to get drunk and have a BOINK." Thank goodness for this Buffalo Throwdown, otherwise I never would have had the ground Buffalo to make him the BOINKs that he requested.

IMG_7541.jpg

I rolled some buffalo balls and seasoned them with some Foil Hat Rub and Lawry's. I really wanted to cook them on the grill first, but the grind was very fine and I was afraid I would have to scrape them off the grill with big groves in them so I pan seared them first.

IMG_7542.jpg

I wrapped them in bacon and smoked them over oak

IMG_7557.jpg

I mopped them with some Loempia sauce. Then I served up some BOINKs for my husband with a mojito, just the way he likes them.

IMG_7572.jpg

In typical male fashion, they were gone before ya' knew it :doh:.

IMG_7578.jpg

Looks like time's running out. I'm going to get my husband, so I can get what I want before the Apocalypse. :wink:

Thanks for looking, and Happy Apocalypse everyone!

Buffalo Filet with Buffalo Cornbread Pie & Asparagus

When I got home from travelling on Friday, I headed here.

IMG00031-20110520-1543.jpg

Cause they have some of this (they even have Buffalo Etc.).

IMG00032-20110520-1544.jpg

I put some corn and asparagus on the grill with some buffalo sliders.

DSC_0785.jpg

That seemed to go pretty well - nobody started to paw the ground and moo (special cameo appearance by Q2).

DSC_0787.jpg

With the little qs fed, I turned to Mom & Dad's meal. I browned some more ground buffalo in a skillet and charred some more corn.

DSC_0779.jpg

I mixed the ground buffalo with some taco seasoning, black beans, and charred corn. I put the ground buffalo, bean, corn mixture in a loaf pan.

DSC_0780.jpg

I made up some corn bread dough, topped the loaf pans with the corn bread mixture and put in the oven at 375F for 25 or so minutes.

DSC_0297-1.jpg

While all that was going on, I broke out the big guns.

DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

I rubbed down the filet with a little bit of olive oil then seasoned with coarse black pepper and very course kosher salt. I put it on for a hot sear - about one minute per side. I then moved it over a single layer of coals in the middle of the weber and covered for about seven ish minutes. After I pulled the steak, I tented it in foil for about five minutes.

Fork shot->

DSC_0789.jpg

Buffalo filet plated with the buffalo corn bread pie and grilled asparagus marinated in EVOO and balsamic vinegar.

DSC_0795.jpg

Have a good weekend and enjoy the throwdown!

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful, Q! Love that cornbread pie. And glad to see that Q2 made an appearance this week!

Redhot, sorry I'm out..I can get Moose, Caribou, Bear, Seal even Beaver but no farkin Buffalo!! :doh: :wink:

Edit-We do have frozen bison burgers in the shops but that ain't TD worthy!!

Man, it's been awhile since I've had any beaver. :redface:

CD

This was one TD I really wanted to do. Never had fresh buffalo. I went down to PB to the Whole Foods store on PGA and sure 'nuff they had the critter in question:thumb: They only had three cuts at that location, rib eye (22.99/lb), strip(22.99/lb) and a sirloin @ 12.99/lb. Talked to the dude at the counter, and his suggestion was the sirloin, knowing that I had never had buffalo before. Worked for me! Picked up an pound and threw it in the cooler and headed over to Gander Mountain for a look see:-D.
buf1.jpg

buf2.jpg

Grilled HOT, I did not walk away from this steak for even a second! Brought it off rare.
buf3.jpg

I did not want to take away from the flavor of the steak, so it was seasoned with only salt, black pepper, and a hint of cayenne. I thought about doing a blue cheese thing or a mushroom thing over the meat but decided to throw those flavors on the side. This was a dang good steak! Great flavor, and although similar to beef, there was a very slight difference in flavor , not in any way a negative, just different. We liked it! Please use this pic and thanks for looking!
buf4.jpg

decided against rotisserie and smoked it over some hickory and RO. :becky:
Rubbed with Montreal steak spice cause I put that s^%t on everything!
IMGP0323-1.jpg

Had some time to kill so
IMGP0330-1.jpg

Rested and sliced :becky:
IMGP0337-1.jpg

Here is the final product, super tender (surprising) cooked to 135 then foiled and in the cooler. Please use this pic as my entry :becky::thumb:
IMGP0344-1.jpg

Beautiful steak Bluey!

And I'm getting some very mixed signals from the Northwest Territories. First, you show us a Guinness, but your final pic has a Corona. Well, ... which is it? :roll: Beautiful plate, by the way.

So here's my Buffalo strip steak cook...the delay was due to deguerre omitting his PM meds again thereby forcing his BP into triple digits both upper and lower. Yikes! On a lighter note, buffalo is the BOMB! WOW!!!!! So here goes. I made a marinade for the strip steaks with EVOO, port wine, red wine vinegar, black pepper, fresh thyme, rosemary and garlic then vac-sealed it.
Marinade-1.jpg

Marinaing.jpg

I let this set in the fridge for two days (but only intended to let it sit for one...next time I think more than one day is a good thing - really).
Next I prepped the little sweet peppers and brocolini for the grill. Peppers were marinated in EVOO, sea salt and pepper several days in advance. After prepping the peppers I used the leftover oil/salt/pepper to coat the brocolini then added additional salt and black pepper. These were wrapped in foil to braise on the grill.
LilSweetPeppersinEVOOsaltNblackpepper.jpg

On the grill
Searing-1.jpg

SearingII.jpg

Plated...YUM - did I say YUM? Wow, tender, juicy, flavorful and different! I do not regret the price tag on these at all!
PerfectlyPink.jpg

Plated1-2.jpg

sliced-4.jpg

Donetoperfection.jpg

And OMG, I want this next one to be the TD pic cause all I can do when I look at this pic is remember how totally mouth-watering this steak was - oh, did I forget to mention that deguerre finished off my steak too (um, it was the smaller one)!
FirstBite.jpg

I think if Guerry doesn't take his meds, he shouldn't be getting any steaks. Great job!

Yeah, I think I should give all the meat in the freezer to my mom and kids and force him to eat only fresh veggies, cheese and maybe some eggs if he's good...but I think I'd have quite the fight on my hands! So, from now on I make up his meds and force-feed them to him when I get home from work. At any rate, the bison/buffalo steaks were to die for. Maybe I should re-word that. They were pleasantly different and more tender than expected. Oh, and I forgot to say that I used the marinade to create a dipping sauce for the steaks. I poured the marinade from the meat into a saucepan and added more port, salt, turbinato sugar, black pepper, powdered mustard and simmered for about 20 minutes. It was really good but in the end we didn't even use much because the meat was so good it didn't need it. UM...TMI? Long DAY!:becky:

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!

I'm just blown away with the quality of the entries here and the beautiful presentation of the meat! Even if I could get my hands on some Buffalo, I don't think I could get close to you guys on how to grill with such expertise.

This is a delight to watch!

Cheers!

Bill

Back