• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS lighting

Neonnblack

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Would lighting a UDS from the bottom, under the charcoal basket be a bad idea? I have an idea of going Performer style on my UDS and making a burner to fit under the basket (maybe the side of the basket) and hanging the small tank under the table i have on it. Wondering if that will make temp control harder.

I would think that lighting a full basket of coals from the bottom would be problematic. The idea of the "Minion method" is that the coals light from the top down as they need to maintain the heat. If lighting from the bottom I would expect all of them to light and you would have problems with higher heat.

Then again I could be way off since you could control temps from the air intake...I guess the best thing to do is light a chimney full of coals and dump it into an empty basket and then fill the basket the rest of the way with unlit coals and see how it goes. It would be easier to test it this way before you spend the time and money, than test it afterwards.

I would think that lighting a full basket of coals from the bottom would be problematic. The idea of the "Minion method" is that the coals light from the top down as they need to maintain the heat. If lighting from the bottom I would expect all of them to light and you would have problems with higher heat.

Then again I could be way off since you could control temps from the air intake...I guess the best thing to do is light a chimney full of coals and dump it into an empty basket and then fill the basket the rest of the way with unlit coals and see how it goes. It would be easier to test it this way before you spend the time and money, than test it afterwards.

That was my concern also, temps going crazy from more being lit and burning up.

If it aint broke don't fix it

Yeah i know... but i like to mess with things. I have those projects that are never really "done". Its a sickness.

You will also have a problem with the smoke of the top coals as they catch getting to the food. When you follow the minion method, the heat of the coals burns off the smoke from the other coals that are lighting. This way you can control how much smoke you get to the food.Otherwise you will have the bitter smoke taste in your food. I have tried putting unlit coals on top of lit coals and that was the problem I ran into.

Perhaps a concentrated flame in the center until they catch then let the Minion Method take over. Maybe a short wait but I have that anyway with my WSM.

What if your burner pointed to the top/side? Then you'd only be lighting a small portion on the top. Still using the Minion method, just "automated".

Matt

I am always creating solutions for problems that don't exist. I totally understand.... Then my solution usually becomes the problem... :)
I would just light the chimney!

Back