Recommended Temp Guages

Kickback BBQ on Guam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I nearly ruined 120 lbs of meat this weekend thanks to defective (cheap) thermometers. Any recommendations on a suitable and reliable guage for the door of my smoker and I might as well buy some for my UDS that has been rambling around in my mind since I joined this group.
I would also like to get a wireless or two. Any and all recommendation will be appreciated.

I have two maverick's as well. They have yet to fail me.

i use the mavrick also and having a little problem running two at the same time :p:p one by itself does just fine

I have Tel-tru in my Eggs; Spicewine on my Bandera and I check everything with my trusty Blue Thermopen. I calibrate the mechanical thermometers in boiling water before each comp. Remember: water boils at 100 centigrade. Easy mark to see on the dial.

Tel-Tru's on my WSM's, ET-73's for comps, Wal-Mart specials in the drums...:p

I've got two Maverick's that I use together all the time... Never had a problem, but then again I always keep a couple of fresh sets of 'AAA' batteries in the house...

I drilled holes in the lids of my WSM's for Tel Tru thermometers like those. It was the single best modification I have done to them. The Tel Tru's are a little pricey but the quality is good.

I know some of the guys here use Spicewine's too and are happy with them.

Did you install them near the top of your lid or into the side of the lid so it would be closer to the grate?

WWW.PICGAUGES.COM

I used a Model B3B12-RR which has a 12" probe and range 50-550 and a 3" face. Next time i'll get the B5B12-RR which is the same with 5" face(for my old timers eye's). I have bought a lot of gauges and thermometers from these guy's for projects at work. Seem to be good quality.

Back