logo

Couple of UDS questions

Bearbonez

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Next week, me and a buddy are going to build a couple UDS'. What height sould we make the charcoal basket? what height for the food grates?

Also AzQ'er and I we're talking at Stagecoach about heat diffusion. AzQ'er was tellin me that some of the folks here we're experimenting with pizza pans that have holes drilled, but was still a work in progress. Any updates on that? I'd really like to have a something to diffuse the direct heat, but still allow the drippings to reach the coals...you just can't duplicate that smoke flavor.

My basket is 10" tall, the grate is attached 2.5" above the bottom of the basket.
My lower grate is 7.5" below the top lip of the drum and the top grate is 1" below the top lip.
That puts my lower grate 23.5" above the charcoal grate.
I can go with a tall lid, the one shown is 10" or the flat lid if I am just using the lower grate.
Happy building!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really like to have a something to diffuse the direct heat, but still allow the drippings to reach the coals...you just can't duplicate that smoke flavor.

Why mess with something that works so well? Everything I've read on here about people trying to use diffuser plates has been less then encouraging.

My take on the diffuser idea is...isn't slow and low just low heat for long periods of time?...it does not mean "away from the fire" thats just the method that is used to get the temp low enough so the meat can cook long enough. With a drum you get the low temps it just happens to be directly over the fire, the fire is just far enough way from the meat so its not grilled.

Anyway this is all MHO and if someone came up with a diffuser that made the drum better and easier to use (if thats even possible:-D) I would probably try it.:eusa_clap

That answers my questions. Thanks alot for the replies. 10" basket and scrap the plate plan. Next step is gettin a couple cheap weber kettles, than off to Lowe's for the rest the materials.

Back