Making holes in steel drum or plate

I used new 1" hole saw for my intake's and 3/4" black pipe thread's right in!!

The Irwin Uni-Bit and Harbor Freight step bits are my choice

tried hole saw on first drum, PIA.
Bought step bits at Harbor Freight, easy, no mess, no fuss.

step bits, saved a lot of *###*****, if you know what i mean. good luck.:-D:cool:

Using a hole saw is ok but remember on a curved surface like a barrel, you will have an egged shaped hole with a larger gap on either side. This can be hard to fill if you are not a good welder.
Dave

I used a knock out punch set from Harbor Freight. Worked great with minimal effort... I will be picking up a set of unibits for future work though.

James.

Agree with you there, but Typical cost is more than most spend building a UDS.
From McMaster Carr
34685A35 Round Knockout Hole Punch for 1" Hole Diameter In stock at $44.15 Each

I only post harbor Freight because most folks won't use them enough to justify the cost of true quality tools.
91201.gif

clear.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91201

Agree with you there, but Typical cost is more than most spend building a UDS.
From McMaster Carr
34685A35 Round Knockout Hole Punch for 1" Hole Diameter In stock at $44.15 Each

I only post harbor Freight because most folks won't use them enough to justify the cost of true quality tools.
91201.gif

clear.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91201

O heck yea....
If he knows a machine shop / sheet metal shop etc. that might allow him to borrow a punch that would be great.
I should have clarified what I meant.
Greenlee are the easiest to work with and the best.
It's late and I was just responding.
Never gave it a second thought. Sorry about that.

O heck yea....
If he knows a machine shop / sheet metal shop etc. that might allow him to borrow a punch that would be great.
I should have clarified what I meant.
Greenlee are the easiest to work with and the best.
It's late and I was just responding.
Never gave it a second thought. Sorry about that.
No big deal, much like when people go to a BBQ restaurant you say is good and they come back telling you it's way overpriced. Same goes for tools or just about anything. You get what you pay for. Greenlee punches will last forever. I use large 2-3" or bigger and odd shaped ones all the time. Love the hydraulic pump seup!

I think HF just had a coupon deal for the K/O punch.

I had seen one but can't find it. I need a coupon for weed burner. I lengthened mine to 3' so I could light my big drum without burning the hair on my arms :twisted: but now it's a pain when I light the Egg.

Back