Please rate the brisket in the pic

Votes: 8 6.3%

Votes: 26 20.5%

Votes: 69 54.3%

Votes: 20 15.7%

Votes: 2 1.6%

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
7..possible 8 since pictures can be deceiving .looks good but slices could use some neatening up to put it in the 9 range..
Bill - Cook & CBJ

Neil,

I was tetering between an 8 and 7. I was not impressed with the garnish and it looked uneven. But like Bently, I scored prior to reading everyone else's response. I'm not a CBJ and it shows a bit. I scored it an 8.

I agree with the others. It just needs a little dressing up. First thing that caught my eye was the lack of lettuce on the right side. This draws your attention away from the meat. The meat should be the focal point and the garnish if any should not draw your attention away. As for the meat I gree that the slices were just a bit big. ALmost looks crammed in. Otherwise good ring, good moisture( at least per the foto).

I gave it a 7... same reasons... ends look ragged, too much fat, it looks dry... have you sauced it? I've changed my mind about saucing brisket... judges like sauce. Some judges like no sauce, but just about all judges like sauce. Why play the odds backwards?

Thanks Bentley. I don't get it either. I can accept that it might not have been top ten but I really don't think it was 24th place brisket either. At least everybody liked the Gumbo.

Ya know, I fall prey to this sometimes. Remember that appearance REALLY is a small part of the score. Based on your scores, the taste and tenderness were not what the judges were looking for more than the appearance.

I am curious, also, if you sampled some 20 minutes after turn in. There will always be variance on how well meat keeps until judging, but sometimes it varies more than you would expect.

BEAR IN MIND: We have really struggled with brisket, so I am certainly the not the one to offer any brisket tips!

Thanks Bentley. I don't get it either. I can accept that it might not have been top ten but I really don't think it was 24th place brisket either. At least everybody liked the Gumbo.

Neil,
Here is my opinion and observation about scoring "in the middle".
Believe me--I am the "Master of DAM" (Dead Ass Middle) :twisted:

I think many judges really consider (ponder) giving the top scores to an entry. I know I think a lot before giving an 8 vs a 9 (using KCBS).

I think many judges really consider (ponder) giving the bottom scores to an entry. I I know I think a lot before giving a 4 vs a 5 (using KCBS again).

I plead guilty to not putting as much consideration (pondering) into the 6's and 7's (and some marginal 8's) I enter.
That is a fine line and I think most judges are the same way---like it or not.

It is just "average" or so and does not deserve to place high or be at the bottom of the field.

The result is, IMHO, once my score drops out of the top 10-15% of scores, the numerical ranking means little.
The scores just get "jumbled up" and mean little in terms of "ranking".

I personally doubt that there is much difference in the quality of the entries "in the middle" of the pack to really "rank" them accurately.

Using a 30 team field as an example, I think the top 5 (give or take) teams or entries were probably the "best 5". The "order" of 1 thru 5 might be subject to errors, but the entries/teams were, in fact, the best 5 for the day.
Same logic for the bottom 5 (give or take).

What about all us guys in the "middle" ?

I really do not believe the "rankings' of the middle have any resemblence to reality!

Been there, done that!

JMHO

TIM

I gave it an 8... toyed with a 7. I am not a judge either, so take it as such.

the slices were not laid in evenly... a little too long, and looks like some fat. and the lettuce was not even either.

I agree with a photo is hard to judge compared to the actual seeing it.

I have learned to look to perfection. That is why I let my wife to the boxes. I do the cooking, she does the detailing.... it works out better for me that way. If it was me, just toss it in the box...

Bill

Thought about a 6, but gave it a 7. Looks good, but garnish lacking on right side of box (uneven) and meat looks crowded.....curled to make it fit.

IBCA sure is easier. Seven slices sitting on a piece of foil. Slices parallel to the front of the box. Takes a lot of variables out and it taste and tenderness become more important.

I'm posting without reading beyond the first post, so I'll be curious to read beyond and see where I ended up.

I gave it a 7. The garish is uneven on the right and blocks the meat in the front (in the photo). The meat seems crowded in the box. The slices aren't really uniform.

I don't why this came back up but since it did, here is the brisket from the next contest I did. It was an IBCA contest. This one got 3rd place...

laquinta_69.jpg

Looks good BM, I like the simplicity of the IBCA box. Let's you concentrate on the meat, which is what it is all about.

Not to beat a dead horse.....but thank goodness for IBCA judging! Who cares whether it is purdy or not!

Neil I would give you a 7 as well, like most of the other replies I think the box could be alittle more organized appearance wise, even out the cuts and make it look more attractive, other then that the meat looks good and moist with a good smoke ring.

Back