Spicewine Smoke ring

MrSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys with SW Smokers are getting a smoke ring like you did with your other smokers. I'm not complaining because i placed 4th with my brisket this year and 5th last year with the Dually. But i didn't have any smoke ring.

I have the same thing not going to say a problem because the product is very good but it sure would be nice to get that smoke ring every once in a while. I have tried everything I can think of?

I was wondering if you guys with SW Smokers are getting a smoke ring like you did with your other smokers. I'm not complaining because i placed 4th with my brisket this year and 5th last year with the Dually. But i didn't have any smoke ring.

Do you run the water pan dry? What fuel do you use (including wood)?

Smokering

I used the spice this weekend past and smoked ribs and pork butt, got a real nice smoke ring and I was useing maple and cherry chunks.

Ran this weekend pan dry with hickory and apple and got a good smoke ring on pork butts and brisket.

We run with water and have always had a nice smoke ring. We use Cherry ans Apple chunks.

So here's the question...is moisture needed for a smoke ring?

OK I am real happy with the smokering I get now but I did start placing more wood during cooks, thru out the entire cook. We all know that the judges more than likely look for it even though they are not supposed to. So I eased up on the water, add more slim, split pieces into my smoker and marvel at how bright that ring is. And for B Mistas question, I think that too much moister dulls the ring. My opinion. No scientific proof from this bone head.

I was told smoke rings are not to be considered in a comp because they can be made artificially with meat tenderizer.
thats what I heard

This brisket was cooked in the Spicewine....I think it has a nice smoke ring....maybe you guys aren't using enough wood maybe??

Attachments

• DSC00034.jpg
    DSC00034.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 177
Do you run the water pan dry? What fuel do you use (including wood)?
Same as i did w/the 'dera. Water in the pan,Charcoal in the basket,Pecan preheated next to the basket then move into the basket and preheat another one.
I wonder if the smoke is passing thru to fast,i have the vent closed 1/2 way and the temp holds at 225 all night. I do seem to have a lot of steam when i open the door. I never spray anymore because of the moisture inside.

So here's the question...is moisture needed for a smoke ring?

That was what I wondered, so I asked the question. Maybe this thread will help us decide.

((Trying to stay on topic, but as a generality, all i can say is off sets universally seem to produce a more pronounced ring than verticals of any kind-WSM, Spice, stumps ... This is purely my impression and could be way off base. ))

(((and my conjecture above probably has more to do with the lower ratio of wood as a fuel in a vertical, rather than the moisture properties)))

Last edited:
Same as i did w/the 'dera. Water in the pan,Charcoal in the basket,Pecan preheated next to the basket then move into the basket and preheat another one.
I wonder if the smoke is passing thru to fast,i have the vent closed 1/2 way and the temp holds at 225 all night. I do seem to have a lot of steam when i open the door. I never spray anymore because of the moisture inside.

Intersting stuff. It would be interesting to see what happens if you change 1 variable: For example, replace the pecan with Cherry just to see what happens. In my experience, cherry seems to be the best candidate for the ring development.

Also, perhaps, just 'more' wood added throughout.

I've never been overly concerned with the smoke ring and don't think about it much as my goal is to not have the meat taste overly smokey, especially for a contest. I want just enough smoke to compliment but not overpower just for the sake of generating the deepest ring possible.

I get a sufficient smoke ring in my Spicebox, I don't use water in the water pan, close down the exhaust most of the way, foil the meat toward the end of the cook, use a mix of hickory and fruit wood.

We have been cooking on Spicewine cookers since Jay made the first Spicewine cooker. We have never failed to have nice smoke rings. The brisket and pork are wrapped in foil after about 7 to 9 hours in the smoker using cherry wood. The ribs are cooked the other side of the smoker for 6 hours using apple and hickory.

My guess, either you are not using enough wood or you have the top vent opened too far.

Back