Dome Dilema

Exocet

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Working on my first UDS and would really like a domed lid. Obviously, the 22.5" Weber kettle grill lid is the first choice. But, used ones in my area are in pretty short supply. I've found some nearby, but by the time you drive 200 miles round trip, I might as well just by a new one. I've looked at some of the cheaper grills, but not that wild about their lid designs. I want something that's closer to a true dome.

Then I got to thinking, has anyone tried to adapt a large wok into being a lid for a UDS? It'd take a little metal fabrication to get a decent lip on it, but might work. Of course, in the end it might still cost more than a new Weber grill.

Do you have a Weber kettle already? If not, why not get one and use it as a grill and then just use the dome lid on the UDS when you need it?

I have two racks in my UDS so I wanted a Weber lid but made do without one. I had a second drum and measured down about 8" cut it off for my lid.
The next part took a little work. To get a tight seal, I took the flat lid (from the first drum) and cut the center out (leaving about 2" to cut slits and then fold up). The second drum section had to have a few slits in it to get it to slide between the outside rim and the folded up slits. I put screws in each section and I really like how it works. Tight seal and extra room for my top rack so I can easily have a turkey on it.

Get another drum and cut off the bottom 1/3 through the middle of the rib instant tall top.

Well, Craigslist came though. Spotted a used 22.5 inch Weber posted last night for $20. Picked it up tonight. Took a 130 mile round trip to get it, though. Good thing I didn't need to take the truck! The grates may not be salvageable, but the lid is in good shape. Has one small scratch on it. Hopefully, get it cleaned up and painted this weekend.

You can save the kettle part of the Weber for another domed lid if you have a welder. Works great!

You can save the kettle part of the Weber for another domed lid if you have a welder. Works great!

Thanks. I hadn't really thought about that. I'll clean it out good and stash it away in the basement for any future needs.

Back