what a bad day/humbling experience/ PRON

bluzieq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
View attachment 78511abs bar be cube, first time to use this on a warm day.I have cooked all winter,30-50 degrees. been doing good. today however,first time to use kbb charcoal on 93 degree day wind blowing 15 mph,loaded up the basket in a u shape burn,lit abt 3/4 chimney full put in one end. about 10 lbs all together. hooked up guru, six minutes it was 250, 30 min it was 327 all vents closed,exhaust open.took 2 hrs to get down to 275.after putting in a water pan. wow it was a mess!:sad: I'll have to learn how to cook in summer now, I sure showed my lack of experience today. what was doing good at 30 does not work at 93 and windy. Any input from the more seasoned.oh yeah guru was set for 250.still gotta fix that dang date on camera!!

Last edited:
Looks like they came out tasty even with all of the trouble!

I cook ribs at those temps on purpose now and then. I bet the ribs were great even if your nerves were frazzled.

Man, I have some of the same issues in my Brinkman Gourmet Electric, modified for charcoal. Real hard time keeping a temp low. always seems to jump way to high. I have been using the Minion Method to light it off. I think I need to just mess around with it and find out how to set my vents I installed. Although I have literally seen it go from about 100* to 400* in a matter of seconds. Live and learn.I am sure I will get it right soon.

they were good, falling apart(one on right broke into) but the guru was beeping at me,I was about to pour the charcoal out in the yard but figured a grass fire was last thing I needed on a windy day. I was not happy:evil::confused::wacko::sad::oops: since I had this thing 250 top to bottom this winter.

Better to hot than not hot enough. Just go with it you get done sooner & who knows you might even enjoy it. What's a Guru?

I would say you just needed more beer. Higher ambient temps require more.

Man, I wish my "bad" cooks turned out that well, look great! :D

instead of just telling you it looks great I will try to help if I can.

You say all the vents were closed and it could not still get the temp to come down?

There is your problem. You should be able to extinguish your fire.

Thats the only way your Guru will work, it needs complete control of your airflow.

I would figure that out. Try an empty cooker and light some coals and see if you can get them to go out, maybe take the Guru off and try it.

Maybe a call to the maker of the pit is in order.

Back