My UDS build

Under the basket is 1" high bar grating so there is place for ashes.

I did a turkey sunday and it came out great, only thing I did wrong was I put liquid in the drip pan, when it was done there was more liquid in the pan than I started with and made the skin a little tuff. I think there is plenty of moisture in the can so Ill not add anything next time.

So far the bottom of drum is clean, the drip pan caught everything but I am going to make a plate for the top of fire box that I can cover with foil so its always clean.

I did the burn in with cut hard wood and it was HOT :mrgreen: for the cook I just used kingsford cheapstuff it was ok too.

I did notice that the next day there was not many ashes collected, my weber kettle would have tons of it.

One thing I would change is if it didnt have a cart then the tube I used for firebox would not be made of 3/8 wall, thing was 100lbs lol

So finally got the handle on this thing, had some issues keeping it hot and some bad taste/smoke from it. I think it was creosote from poor burn at the start.
What I did this time was only use half a basket and let it roll for about 1 hr before putting anything on, it was at 500 when I closed the door and put the lid on, very little smoke, blue not white and it did a chicken just beautiful at around 310 degrees without having to mess with it. No foul taste and just moist and tender smokyness. :thumb:

Cant wait to do some ribs and a brisket.:mrgreen:

great welding skills to weld that thick ass steel to... well, thin ass steel and not burn holes...

Back