Head Country Sauce......Really???

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok I hope this doesn't hurt anyone's feelings, but I recently bought my first bottle of Head Country. Well I tried it out of the bottle and was not impressed. It tastes like ketchup with some Worcestershire and Liquid Smoke. However, to be fair, I reserved judgment until after I had tried it on meat which I did yesterday. I tried it on ribs, pork, and brisket. I honestly cannot say I liked it on any of them.

This leads me to believe that people that do well with it are most likely mixing it with other things. Now I am very aware that it isn't my taste buds that I need to worry about, but does anyone use this stuff straight up and win?

I like to mix it in one of 2 ways....1/2 regular & 1/2 hot. Or regular w/ honey... my rubs come through and the sauce compliments the overall flavor.

straight? i don't think so. add some BH and honey and you have a BBQ flavor profile*gulp*that doesn't offend anyone.

BTW, not impressed much either. i prolly prefer KC masterpiece or bullseye, honestly, for that type of sauce.

with that said, i used it on ribs mixed and got a ribbon. 10th out of 40 or so.

Ok so it sounds like its the sauce to use when you really don't feel like you even need any, but the judges expect it.

Recently tried it myself. I'll stick to the mighty powerpig sauce. :tongue:

I like Head Country. A lot. I add a bit of this and a bit of that and it acts as an excellent base for whatever direction I want the final sauce headed in.

Eric

LOVE it, in brunswick stew. That's it for me. Personally, and I've said it MANY times here, why would you put a sauce on your BBQ that has smoke flavorings in it? Seriously. Doesn't it say something (and not good mind you) about the smoke on your BBQ when you need to help it out with smoke in a sauce? I personally found that they (sauces with smoke flavorings) HURT my BBQ, so I dont use them on it.

Going back, I'm curious, where did you read about competitors (other than beginners) using and succeeding with Head Country?

Going back, I'm curious, where did you read about competitors (other than beginners) using and succeeding with Head Country?

Not sure. I guess its just one of those names that I hear often around competitors. I figured there had to be a reason.

One of our best sellers! Somebody came in and bought every bottle we had this morning. They must really like it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Galaxy is the same thing. First thing you get is the liquid smoke flavor. Not a fan of either.

LOVE it, in brunswick stew. That's it for me. Personally, and I've said it MANY times here, why would you put a sauce on your BBQ that has smoke flavorings in it? Seriously. Doesn't it say something (and not good mind you) about the smoke on your BBQ when you need to help it out with smoke in a sauce? I personally found that they (sauces with smoke flavorings) HURT my BBQ, so I dont use them on it.

i know for a fact it is used by one of the top teams in all of BBQ.

i also have it on good authority that "it rules". :icon_smile_tongue::becky:

HC and BH together goes great on burnt ends IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i also have it on good authority that "it rules". :icon_smile_tongue::becky:
Just had some light night and I gotta tell you...it was GOOD! It was a mix of regular and hot..may have even had some honey added.

QDat, I got the same impression and have a bottle in shipment right now. I wish you would have posted this 3 days ago!:doh:

Back