Pizza oven...YEAH BABY!!!!

tom72

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay, it's not done yet, but I'm really excited that I got off my butt and got the ball rolling on this. I have been obsessed with pizza for years and I've been making my own for as long as I can remember, but I really hate making it in the oven. It still comes out really good, but it's lacking something.

I've played around with a lot of different ideas to modify a grill, as I'm really not a fan of how pizza comes out making it on the grill...I had been thinking of a FrankenWeber type mod.

Anyway, I decided to go a different route completely, so this is what hopefully is the start of something good:

Dug out a hole a little over a foot deep (didn't take pictures of just the hole...filled it with about 5 inches of gravel:

IMG_2885.jpg

I topped that off with about 5 inches of concrete. I didn't get a picture of just the slab (not real attractive anyway, but this is just laying the bricks out to make sure I made the foundation big enough:

IMG_2762.jpg

Here's as far as I got today:

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

Not too bad for a start...next weekend I should get a lot further on it. I'll keep adding pictures as I go. Wish me luck (because I seem to be severely lacking in the skill department!).

Cool, someday I will get off my butt and make mine out of the 55gal drum I have in the corner :roll:

Cant wait to see more

Skidder, holy cow, is that awesome.:eusa_clap

Second that, Skidder. Can you please give more details on your build? I would love to build a pizza oven but don't want the tax man to jack me up for building a permanent structure. That looks like a great compromise. How hot can you get it?

Oh, and looking good Tom. Did you apply for permits or are you allowed to build that without in your area?

Did you reinforce your slab with rebar or any other type of metal material as a binder? If not, you will likely have some issues in the not so distant future.

Back