Need Suggestions picking out a Smoker

DW's are basically the same as Stumps and Superior...never used one but they have to cook very similar.

I am secretly saving for a Pitmaker for sure. What a gorgeous pit, just trying to decide on whether to go vertical with the Vault or offset with the Long Rifle Sniper.

If I could redirect this back to the start. Like the first few said, but they gave specific details, the first thing you have to come to terms with is who you are and what type of cooking you enjoy cooking on/with. Some enjoy tending fire; others enjoy sleeping. Then, once you decide, you have to think "do I want to do this in a competition". There's another piece of the decision.

Also, and I haven't read anything above on this, what type of competition are you planning to compete. All BBQ competitions are NOT the same. Some are just 1 category, others multiple categories. Some have just 1 turn-in (of each meat), others have multiple turn-ins per meat. Some are completely blind, others come on-site. All of these factor in because of volume of meat you'll need to cook and at what cleanliness level you need to maintain. For that matter, some have you cooking whole hogs (it's tough to fit a whole hog on many smokers)...

To make the correct decision, for you, you need to first understand yourself and what your plans are. Then you can begin to answer the questions. Most will answer themselves.

As far as offset smokers, there are reverse flow and traditional smokers. There are insulated and un-insulated. While I would like an insulated one, I frankly cannot afford a Jambo. Also, I prefer reverse flow for many reasons. That lead me pretty much to two major players in this style, being Bubba Grills (www.bubbagrills.net) and Lang (www.pigroast.com). Both built well, sturdy, solid, will last a long time. I'd chosen the Bubba Grills because I know Lonnie (the owner) and they're slightly less expensive than Lang, but in my search I found a used Lang that fit the $$$ better, so I have a Lang. I love it, but also love the Bubba Grills models too.

I happen to like tending fires and enjoy it. That's just me; there's nothing wrong with the other types. Most competitions I compete in there's no getting much sleep anyway. Also I tend to compete (when I do it) in competitions that require more meat cooked than others, so I need the capacity that some other smokers dont provide. Again, that's me and my preferences. Yours may vary and put you on to a completely different smoker, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Best of luck. I hope you choose a smoker that you'll use and enjoy for many years to come!!!

figure your budget first, and a post will not answer what you need to know and before spending $$$$$$$$$$$ go to a comp or find someone local and look at the cookers in person and decide on which way to go as only you can answer what style fits your style and how you have cooked in the past and each style cooker has a different flavor or flavour profile releative to the medium being burned...remember if you go to pellets you are held hostage to the pellet makers, with a muti fuel pit you can burn charcoal, wood....but it has to be up to you and what can be transported by you...good luck!

Back