Houston we have a problem! Calling all Brethren.

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So my BIL got this smoker from his wife for Christmas last year. I believe it's a Charbroil American Gourmet. She bought it on amazon so the return policy is not in place anymore. So he finally decides to put the thing together and it turns out the lid is backwards, the holes for the hinges are on the front of the lid, same side as the thermo and opposite the stack. He actually drilled the holes for the handle and mounted it on what is now the front. Then realized that because the exhaust is right next to the firebox that it's still all farked up.

I'm assuming these are the options.

1. Call charbroil and hope they will make good on a replacement lid.
  2. Drill new holes for the hinge and mount it the right way. In which case I imagine he would need to seal up the holes that are remaining.
  3. Turn it into a reverse flow. If this is the best choice I would then be looking for advice on how to turn it into a reverse flow.
I took these during our family Halloween party this weekend. As you can see at this point it's being use as a shelf which is driving me nuts.

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

I had one final though on this. I have a vertical propane smoker that I think he really likes. I'm pretty sure that's what he had in mind for himself before his wife took it upon herself to get him the charbroil. I'm thinking about asking him to trade me for my gasser which I don't use anymore anyway. I wouldn't mind having an offset and I'm sure my wife would love having another smoker out back. :-D

Here is how I experimented with my old COS. Basically I just turned the lid around and drilled new hinge holes. Then I used a long piece of metal to run under the grate to the far end away from the firebox to generate the reverse flow effect. I have to admit that this was just a half-hearted effort though on a day I was bored. I think it could have potential if you really did it right. However, remember this thing is going to eat fuel like no other if you do a reverse flow.

IMAG0111.jpg

I'm assuming these are the options.

1. Call charbroil and hope they will make good on a replacement lid.
  2. Drill new holes for the hinge and mount it the right way. In which case I imagine he would need to seal up the holes that are remaining.
  3. Turn it into a reverse flow. If this is the best choice I would then be looking for advice on how to turn it into a reverse flow.

All good options...

If the hood is restored/replaced... you'll still need a baffle from the firebox.
By extending the baffle from the firebox to nearly full length... becomes a reverse flow concept... then address grease drippings (drip pan).
Someone did a full length diffuser on a Charbroil some time ago.

Why not just drill a new exhaust hole on the opposite end of the fire box say 2 inch with a hole saw at grate level, which is ware it should be anyway. If you don't have the means to weld, take it to a muffler shop and have them bend an elbow from 2 inch tail pipe, with about a foot and 1/2 upright or at least 7 or 8 inches above the top of the lid, then let them weld it in place. Cap off the old one and use the draft plate from that if it will fit or make a new one.
Dave

All good options...

If the hood is restored/replaced... you'll still need a baffle from the firebox.
By extending the baffle from the firebox to nearly full length... becomes a reverse flow concept... then address grease drippings (drip pan).
Someone did a full length diffuser on a Charbroil some time ago.

Assuming we got the right hood from Charbroil wouldn't the normal exhaust placement (opposite side of the firebox) be the wrong set up for reverse flow? I thought the idea of reverse flow was to draw air under the grates below a baffle of some sort and have it flow back over top of the meat and out the exhaust.

I guess I should research some mods for these smokers. I'm assuming a baffle from the firebox is a popular mod even for one that is set up properly. I will search for the full length diffuser post, maybe that will shed some light on it for me.

Thanks

Why not just drill a new exhaust hole on the opposite end of the fire box say 2 inch with a hole saw at grate level, which is ware it should be anyway. If you don't have the means to weld, take it to a muffler shop and have them bend an elbow from 2 inch tail pipe, with about a foot and 1/2 upright or at least 7 or 8 inches above the top of the lid, then let them weld it in place. Cap off the old one and use the draft plate from that if it will fit or make a new one.
Dave

Thanks Dave, now I have a 4th option to think about! Sounds like it might be a good option, although why is it beneficial to have the exhaust at grate level?

Here is how I experimented with my old COS. Basically I just turned the lid around and drilled new hinge holes. Then I used a long piece of metal to run under the grate to the far end away from the firebox to generate the reverse flow effect. I have to admit that this was just a half-hearted effort though on a day I was bored. I think it could have potential if you really did it right. However, remember this thing is going to eat fuel like no other if you do a reverse flow.

IMAG0111.jpg

So the reverse flow eats more fuel? Do you just burn charcoal in these things or wood or both?

I would think that Charbroil would be pretty embarrassed and would send him a new unit.

CD

I would like to believe that as well. I'm pretty sure one of the cheap farking plastic wheels broke on install as well. I'm not sure why his wife wouldn't call me for some advice before she ordered the damn thing. For a couple extra bucks I would've told her to buy him a WSM and probably gotten her a discount.

Assuming we got the right hood from Charbroil wouldn't the normal exhaust placement (opposite side of the firebox) be the wrong set up for reverse flow? I thought the idea of reverse flow was to draw air under the grates below a baffle of some sort and have it flow back over top of the meat and out the exhaust.

Thanks

The baffle mod is useful in either the reverse flow or a standard smoker configuration like the Chargriller... it is just to deflect the heat lower and allow a better distribution. Someone ran the baffle full length... and added holes on the plate... used as a smoke/heat diffuser when not a reverse flow.

Will try to find the pics to clarify better.

Thanks Dave, now I have a 4th option to think about! Sounds like it might be a good option, although why is it beneficial to have the exhaust at grate level?

With the exhaust at the top of the lid the heat and smoke tend to travel up and over the top of the meat and exit out the top exhaust. With it at grate level the heat and smoke will tend to travel across the grate and across the meat and out the exhaust just behind the meat, some even put the exhaust just under the grate level. This will give you a better grate level temp reading, cook faster and should allow you to use less fuel with less fire tending to some degree. It would be nice if you can relocate the temp gauge to as near grate level as you can.

Some also wrap some sheet metal flashing around or up through the exhaust to bring it down to grate level but that can eat up some grate space and the exhaust will need to be on the correct side. Don't forget to raise your fire box grate so the ash will not tend to choke out the fire too soon, this alone is probably the most overlooked and most important mod for this kind of cooker.
Dave

If he's bent on making it work as is, mount a metal clothes drier vent hose on the exhaust and route it to the grate level on the opposite side of the smoke chamber.

All of a sudden you've moved your exhaust to the other side at grate level.

I would think that Charbroil would be pretty embarrassed and would send him a new unit.

CD

If he's bent on making it work as is, mount a metal clothes drier vent hose on the exhaust and route it to the grate level on the opposite side of the smoke chamber.

All of a sudden you've moved your exhaust to the other side at grate level.

I'm pretty sure in his mind he just want's it to be right (as in the way it's supposed to be). Now his right and mine may be different. If it were my cooker I think I would call Charbroil and see what they would do for me first. If they say farkU I would turn it into reverse flow since after reading these responses I'm sure I would end up modding the unit anyway.

Heck, I would be glad the thermo is not a problem and the temptation to rely on it is denied to me. I would get a couple of plates and weld them into the bottom and reverse flow that thing. Or, use it out in an open place and just walk around it when cooking.

Throw it away and build a UDS we all know that's the only smoker to have anyway!:heh:

Yes thats really our name. And our slogan is. Ya can't beat our meat but ya sure can rub it. The t shirts sell fast.

Back