Smaller comp trying to stay around

roksmith

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Marietta Ohio's Brickstreet BBQ may not be able to continue without some changes. In our 3rd year, we dropped from 40 teams to 26 and because of this, the charity lost money. I'm sure most of you can appreciate the hundreds and hundreds of hours it takes to put on an event, so it's easy to see why a charity cannot continue to run an event at a loss.
In the past, we've always set our prize money well in advance and always paid out well in excess of 100% of the entry fees back out in prize money.
This past year, we paid out (not including people's choice) $10k in cash and only pulled in 26 teams. Yes, we do have the State Proc.
I know the Sam's club event in Michigan our weekend landed several teams that would have otherwise been here, but that was an unexpected event that we had no control over.
We are a small town and pretty much maxed out our possible sponsors for the area, so raising more money that way isn't really an option.
What we are considering doing is setting our prize money smaller to begin with and increasing it based on the number of teams we get.

I guess, what I'm looking for is input on how this will fly.
Are there teams who have been here before or might be looking at a contest that would not return if we started out with an advertised prize money of say $6500 and increased it by $1k for every 4 teams over 25?
Not sure what the exact structure would be and that's why I'm floating this out there. We've got to come up with a plan in the next month or so if we are going to keep this thing going.

Thanks
Dave

I was there this year and will be there next year if you have it regardless of the advertised prize money.

We would be there regardless also. Good time, as long as my garnish cooler doesnt float down the street again.............:drama:

Seriously, it is a really good time!

$10000 is a nice purse, but id go either way, breakdown doesnt matter, only that a fair portion is returned to prize money. we all understand that these things have to make money and since there are only 3 in Ohio, id hate to loose this one.

A lot of smaller events are struggling with this issue and are planning on posting smaller guarantees for 2012. It's your best solution.

Thanks all. I assumed we weren't the only ones in the boat.

Yea, that storm this year was freaky!!

While I'm at it. Anybody have a preference whether we hold the event downtown, or move it to our local fairgrounds about 2 miles from the regular spot?
I know the local merchants like having it in downtown as do the folks who have run it for the past 3 years, but we have the option.

That blacktop was hot, but with that wicked storm we had at least it wasn't muddy. If it brings in some business for your local merchants keeping it where it is probably would be your best bet.

well be there no matter what. I think the sams club event is what hurt you the most.I would like if you kept it where it is.

If I could have back our spot by the Funeral Home, it would be perfect, but again the idea is to draw crowds and get them into the local businesses. The Mexican Restaurant across got TONS of business, I do know that!! Good Food!

The advantage of moving to the Fairgrounds would be a much larger area, built in "RV" power and not needing the tents because of all of the fair buildings. I do enjoy the downtown venue myself and odds are it will stay there, just wanted to see what most of the returning teams preferred. It is still about the competition first. Without the teams, there is no event :)

Thanks all. I assumed we weren't the only ones in the boat.

Yea, that storm this year was freaky!!

While I'm at it. Anybody have a preference whether we hold the event downtown, or move it to our local fairgrounds about 2 miles from the regular spot?
I know the local merchants like having it in downtown as do the folks who have run it for the past 3 years, but we have the option.

I like the current location

Marietta Ohio's Brickstreet BBQ may not be able to continue without some changes. In our 3rd year, we dropped from 40 teams to 26 and because of this, the charity lost money. I'm sure most of you can appreciate the hundreds and hundreds of hours it takes to put on an event, so it's easy to see why a charity cannot continue to run an event at a loss.
In the past, we've always set our prize money well in advance and always paid out well in excess of 100% of the entry fees back out in prize money.
This past year, we paid out (not including people's choice) $10k in cash and only pulled in 26 teams. Yes, we do have the State Proc.
I know the Sam's club event in Michigan our weekend landed several teams that would have otherwise been here, but that was an unexpected event that we had no control over.
We are a small town and pretty much maxed out our possible sponsors for the area, so raising more money that way isn't really an option.
What we are considering doing is setting our prize money smaller to begin with and increasing it based on the number of teams we get.

I guess, what I'm looking for is input on how this will fly.
Are there teams who have been here before or might be looking at a contest that would not return if we started out with an advertised prize money of say $6500 and increased it by $1k for every 4 teams over 25?
Not sure what the exact structure would be and that's why I'm floating this out there. We've got to come up with a plan in the next month or so if we are going to keep this thing going.

Thanks
Dave

Wouldn't it be nice if big sponsors like Sam's club would invest in local events instead of competing with them? Wouldn't it be nice if the KCBS board helped this happen. Oh, wait several of them were hired to run the Sam's club events... :doh:

I am not sure that the Sam's club event in Traverse City took too many teams from ya. The only ones I know that were at TC and were at Marietta last year were ourselves and Extreme Roasters.

You guys have a great event I hope it keeps going.

I am not sure that the Sam's club event in Traverse City took too many teams from ya. The only ones I know that were at TC and were at Marietta last year were ourselves and Extreme Roasters.

There were a couple others who said they were planning on coming before the Sam's event was announced. And I know the economy didn't help. Just 6 more teams would have been the difference between breaking even and losing money.
I don't blame folks for hitting the Sam's events.. We'll be in Pittsburgh in a few weeks..It's just tough for the small events.
I think the prize structure change will allow us to not lose money. If anybody else has any ideas on how to increase team participation, We've certainly got an open ear.

I think you are right...except there were 4 teams for Marietta that went to TC...Bronze Star BBQExtreme RoastersGreat Lakes BBQ & Feed Co.Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced

It still could have affected it some...if say an Indiana team was planning on doing a sam's club the following week somewhere west, travel/schedule might have affected them scheduling Marietta...
We'll be back this year, had a great time met some locals that were super nice.

Dave - what your proposing makes sense. I think like many events the economy and gas prices caused the majority drop in teams - TC was just salt on the wound. Velvet Smoke will of course be there next year. Love the location but man o man is that black top hot! See you in Pitt and Go Bucks!

It is encouraging to see good support voiced in this thread from teams you have had before.

Lowering the purse is an option which won't affect some ( see above comments) but would influence other teams? Impact - uncertain.

I would pose the question - what else are you doing to raise money besides the contest?

IMO - the contest won't stand alone as an event - there needs to be something else to draw people and $ to your event.

Example: We have a blues fest in the beer garden of our fairgrounds that goes on at the same time as the contest. Income from food ( vendors who are contestants) - we
get a percentage of gross- and beer sales are substantial and make up for any shortfall of income from the contest. Neither event would stand on their own, but together they do great and make it so our Knights of Columbus Council can make a nice donation to our beneficiary - Special Olympics.

Back