Do Private Companies Sponsor Grill Teams?

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I realize I'm coming across as a complete ignoramus, but do competition teams get sponsors like NASCAR, little league teams, etc?

Some get local sponsorship. Some individuals are sponsored by companies like BGE and such. BBQ sponsorship is not on the level of BassMasters or FLW much less NASCAR. :-D

I got a real education on the $$ difference a few years ago. I judges a contest in Kissimmee, FL. There was an FLW Tournament going that same weekend at the Silver Spurs arena. After judging on Saturday afternoon I went to the bass weigh-in and awards presentation. Holy CARP Batman!! They pay $1200-1500 down to 12th place and the top places plus big bass and merchandise winnings (not counting top finisher money) can be tens of thousands per tournament.

I was amazed at the sponsorship. Most guys had their trucks, boats, clothing, gear, electronics, etc. ALL sponsored. They may have had to pay for their motels and meals but I'm betting a good part of that is picked up, too.

Anyway, I about decided I was in the wrong "sport"!! I now fish bass tournaments, too. :-D

There is a team based out of Louisville that is sponsored by Kraft Foods, and from speaking to them it is a full blown deal, but they do more than just cook at BBQ competitions, they have to go to food shows and other type things to fufill their contract with them.

Interesting. The idea of company sponsorship of a Q-Team is interesting.

Last edited:
Other than this socalled Team Enoserv:clap2: (couldn't resist Mike). Not many get sponsered. I used to Fish in the top National Walleye tour in the country. Out of the top 120 competitors maybe 15 of the the guys actually had enough sponsership $ to break even or even make a little. It cost me between $3-4K per tournament between entry fee & motel for 8-10 days of prefishing. That's not counting a $40-50K boat & all the equipment that goes along with it. After typing this I forgot what your question was... Whatever it was you can't compare the 2. Bbq people are the best in the world & if you wanna fish be prepared to live in a very secluded world!!!!.....Been there done it!!!!

Last edited:
There is a team based out of Louisville that is sponsored by Kraft Foods, and from speaking to them it is a full blown deal, but they do more than just cook at BBQ competitions, they have to go to food shows and other type things to fufill their contract with them.

They were a fun group of people too. Just couldn't get that quiet time figured out. Lol

I see. I wasn't thinking so much of a larke sponsor like Kraft, but more along the lines of smaller sponsorships. Seems like potential marketing value for the sponsor

I saw a add from a team in the past year that offered several levels on sponsorship. Don't recall the entire breakdown but something like for $ 100 they put your company name on their banner. For $ 250 sign was bigger on the banner. For $ 500 you got even more and all the way up. In fact they said for a couple million you could even change the name of their team. Will try to find it again and post as a link to their site.

We have a rub and sauce sponsor - same company. It's worked out well for us. I will still use my rub for the turnins but for the public I use the sponsors rub and of course have his sauce available.

We have a rub and sauce sponsor - same company. It's worked out well for us. I will still use my rub for the turnins but for the public I use the sponsors rub and of course have his sauce available.

I would say that is a fair deal as long as you are willing to post a banner or sign for their products. :thumb:

Our sponsors are a great bunch! :wink:

Banner-Sponsors.jpg

Not picking on the OP, but am I the only one who is a little flustered at the title of this thread???

Oh. Sorry. I certainly didn't mean to rile anyone. What is the offensive text and I'll change it right away. Sorry.

Back