Baby Backs or Spare Ribs?

S

sigmasmokers

What is the concensus for rib turn ins for competition. Do most go with Baby Backs or Spare Ribs(St. Louis cut)? Trying to get ready for the next competiton and I want to practice with what I will be turning in. Just looking for some advice and opinions from some of you veteran competators.

Thanks

Steve

It really depends on what you like to cook and how well you do.

Tim and I use spares - trimmed St. Louis style. More meat and, in our opinion, better presentation - FBA doesn't use garnish so the larger ribs fill the box better - i.e. no lettuce to hide the mistakes! :D

I know Phil prefers loin backs.

i always use babybacks. Like them better, more meat, less fat and easier to work with. IMO.

BBQchef33 said:
i always use babybacks. Like them better, more meat, less fat and easier to work with. IMO.

B backs are definitely easier to work with and almost impossible to fark up however, when cooked to perfection, nothing beats the taste and texture of St. Louis trimmed spareribs. Plus you have the riblet skirt and ribtips to snack on!

Warning: My competition knowledge is limited, only played with the fire a couple of times for a buddy that competed.

He did both often and went with the better of the two after sampling. He also spent some $, get meat from at least two different sources to cut down on the chances he'd gotten all of one type of meat from a bad lot.

I've been using St.Louis cut for the past two years in comps.For me its getting hard to find meaty BB's(unless you custom cut)and the little fat in St. Louis make for a juicy,flavorful rib.So thats why I switched.Plus the BB's are more expensive.
If you cook a good rib it doesn't matter which one you use.I've scored equally well using both kinds.It's all in technique and the sauce.

Willy T.
www.willytsbbq.com

Back