Rookie Competior

socalnewb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I love to Que and I want to try my hand in competition already got the name "G" QUE Smoking I live in southern California any advice will be appreciated!

First off don't listen to anything I say.

Second, hook up with an established team and observe and help.

Third takes a judges course.

So I love to Que and I want to try my hand in competition already got the name "G" QUE Smoking I live in southern California any advice will be appreciated!

Don't mean to be a buzzkill, but the name GQue is already being used. Check the KCBS website to make sure.

DANG IT good heads up!

just tweak the name slightly...

per KCBS

KCBS does not have the legal right to grant exclusive use of any name, trade name or trademark. KCBS however does ask its members to use an identifier for use by KCBS, in order that we do not have teams with the same name or confusing names, in our “Team of the Year” program. KCBS assumes no liability for duplicate named teams, and does not have the right to enforce any rights between teams with similar names.

Sorry guy....Got in this year. I was surprised it was not taken at the time. All the best

The advice to hook up with another team to watch is sound, as is judging a competition or two and taking a judging class if you can. Otherwise, practice as if it were a real
competition, cooking all the meats and hitting the turn-in times, including making the turn-in boxes. Then, go get 'em!

Hey socalnewb, aka neighbor, I've often thought of trying comp Q too. You need a decent amount of knowledge and $ to get started. I've learned a lot here from the Brethren. Hooking up with a team is good advice. If you want to do a practice backyard run, PM me, and if we can agree on a time, I'm willing to get together and help you out. As I said I've never competed, but I think I'm a good Q cook and I'm very good at organizing. Might be willing to volunteer with you to check out the comp scene. Lancaster isn't to far. Might br interesting to just check it out also.

Follow your browser over to the CBBQA, they list all of the local comps, sanctioned and backyard. Welcome to the Brethren. Lots of good comp tips here.

Are you going to the TJ/Baja contest?

I might need some help if your willing to wash dishes and eat leftover BBQ!!

I don't babysit very well and you'd have to cover your own expenses there and back. I am willing to share any and all info.

Andrew

Back