Thread: Luau next week.
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustTheDust View Post
I have been commissioned to make some Hawaiian style pulled pork for an office party next week. According to Fastball from this thread to feed 60+ people I need about 20LBs of cooked pork. So that is at least 40lbs of raw pork. Figuring each butt is around 8lbs, I need at at least 5 butts. I will probably do 6-7 butts to be safe.

Here are my questions.

1) I have never loaded up my drum with that much meat before (it's a shame, I know) will having it loaded so full drastically effect my cooking times/temps? I normally just do a couple butts/slabs at a time. Figuring on 225, foil at 160, rest at 185. Assuming it takes 1.5 -2hrs per lb. looking at 12-16 hours? Correct?

2) The event is after work on Thursday. Should I smoke this weekend, pull and hold in the refrigerator until Thursday? or start Wednesday night, and pull them/rest them in the morning? I would rather smoke this weekend so i can get some sleep, and have it all taken care of.3) Anyone have some great recipes for me? I have never done "Hawaiian style" pork, but I am guessing it is more of a sweeter flavor. Pineapple and soy type of injection perhaps? I will be doing some research, but wanted to ask the pros here first.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Aloha.
1)That looks like a pretty good estimate, I don't have a UDS but was abe to do 10 9lb butts on my 22"WSM. Long as you're comfortable enough with your drum to hold temp overnight. A word of warning though, that many butts at one time can make for a lot of grease, so some kind of diffuser, like a water pan (no water needed) might help prevent a grease fire

2)I would do the second option. Only downside is you have no time to recover should there be a problem

3)Real Hawaiian style pork (Kalua pig) isn't really all that sweet. It's roasted in a pit the call an Imu. They build a large fire, and let it burn down to coals, then put big rocks in to absorb and hold some of the heat. Then a layer of bananna or something I think they called Ti leaf. Pig is rubbed down with salt, and usually wrapped in chicken wire (to keep it from falling apart when cooked) lowered in, covered with more leaves, and they fill the hole with sand. Some hours later, they pull it out, then carry it to a table and shred. The salt rubdown is really the only seasoning

It's really steamed, rather than cooked over wood, so it doesn't have the wood smoked taste that bbq pork does, but it does absorb a certain grassiness from the leaves. I don't honestly think too many folks who haven't been to the islands would know the difference, but if you want to give a certain air of authenticity, you could offer some pink Alaea salt (google it) on the side

I would be careful injecting with pineapple, might make the meat mushy
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:

Last edited by Stoke&Smoke; 06-24-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote