Street Vendor Grill - Santiago, Chile

High Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm in Santiago de Chile on a business trip and will be heading back home tonight. I was walking to dinner with some friends and stumbled across one of the brethren (he must be a brethren, he just doesn't know it yet) grilling some yard bird kabobs on the street.

It struck me that sometimes I (we as you think it might apply) make this cooking thing a little too complicated - big dollar pits, complicated flavor profiles, crispy, bite through, bite this, etc.

The picture is poor quality but I got a kick out of seeing this cat cranking out Q on a street corner in a crowded metropolitan area using a tray laid into a shopping cart, about 1/15 of a bag of lump and a 12qt cooler.

Yes, I bought one of the kabobs and split it with some buddies. It came in with a nice little pepper/garlic sauce in a comunal bottle. It was really tasty.

I enjoyed seeing this and I thought I would share.

SantiagoParilla.jpg

nice i tailgate with a similar rig we just leave it in the bushes and grab it every week

Reminds me of Ted Reader talking about watching his dad grilling over a wheelbarrow with an oven rack laid over the top and how that inspired him to do what he does now.

Thanks for sharing!!

I'd like to see more street vendors in the U.S. But, I suspect there would be too many food safety rules in most places.

That's awesome I bet its really cool to be able to travel to places like that. Thanks for sharing!

Reminds me of getting "Meat on a Stick" (literally what his sign said) off a street vendor in S. Korea...he didn't specify what kind of meat and we didn't care..it was late and we were feeling good. The meat on a stick was fantastic.

Did that meat meow at you? You're brave.

Made it home safe and haven't heard from the chicken again - life is good. I travel so much, I get sick when I drink the water in Houston.

Back