View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
bbqpitstop

Welcome to the "game" of where to shop and order....with minimums, delivery charges and ever changing pricing, it helps to calculate what your time is worth. Of course your time never trumps a bag of spring mix going bad after one day without even being opened. We've used Sysco, US Foods, RD, Sam's and a multitude of family owned distributorships over the years. I find it helpful to be clear to each entity up front what you expect and let them compete somewhat for your business. After quality of meats, comes quality of side ingredients thereafter it's pricing on paper products, cleaning products and incidentals. Service wise the family owned will go the mile, RD will try for convenience (did you know you can get a printout of all items you buy and they'll load on the flatbed for a scheduled pickup ?). Around Christmas time I have a tendency to hit Sam's for some incidentals cause I can't bypass that damn apple walnut carmel pie they make only three months out of the year. Happy shopping.