Next for txschutte? Brick and Mortar?

I think anyone who opens a new business in this economy is real farkin stupid. With tarp coming and health care taxes, you just cant know what your costs will be up the road. However it is a cash business, if you know what i mean, and $250. a month rent it sure is tempting. Get some good lease options and make sure you have a big cash reserve.Good luck.

Good luck Shane were all counting on you! BTW if you need a good supply line of Black Angus i sure can hook you up. Bob doesnt want it I just heard....

Here is what I would do:
1)Keep your real job (because of insurance + benefits)
2) Open this BBQ brick and mortar business in the evenings or just Friday/Sat night.
3) or maybe open for lunch during the week assuming you have someone who you can trust to run it for you.

Hell $250 per month is only about $35 per Friday/Sat night. Just to see how well it does and if it does real well - go ALL in :shock:

This is just my opinion. All I have is a real job selling meat and an online BBQ rub/sauce online business so take it for what its worth :wink:

Good luck bro! Wish you the best

Mike

Shane, I pray that the Lord would guide your decision and bless you whatever direction you take.

How close are you to the business district? Would you pull a good lunch crowd? Won't it conflict with your day job?
1/2 Block from the main drag. I'll be really looking for Fri-Sat supper crowds.

If you go for it and want to sell the trailer PM me I'm looking for one now and have cash in hand.or anyone else that has a vending trailer don't need the smoker have a few.just a trailer with a vending window.
Keeping the trailer. It does really well at festivals and such..

I think anyone who opens a new business in this economy is real farkin stupid. With tarp coming and health care taxes, you just cant know what your costs will be up the road. However it is a cash business, if you know what i mean, and $250. a month rent it sure is tempting. Get some good lease options and make sure you have a big cash reserve.Good luck.
My plan is to open for takeout, if that doesn't work out, I can use it as the kitchen for my catering gigs only. Supplying rubs, smokers and sauce may help supplement the biz,as well. At $250/mo, I will already be making money with the catering. I already have paid that amount to the kitchen I have been using on a per cook basis for catering.
What about food cost? Insurance? Permits? Fees? Taxes? ?
I know the food costs already, with catering/vending, I have agood supplier and know where to get the deals I need. Insurance is already covered with my liability coverage, would just need to add commercial renter's. Fees are with the HD, about $650 to get certified. I already pay local, state and fedral income taxes with the vending/catering business. My city has a food convenience tax of 1%.

As I said, as long as I can make sure the owner isn't going to jack the rent as soon as he sees success, I can already profit by having my own kitchen for caterin. I will be working WITH the HD to determine what, if any, modifications I would have to make. The trailer is great business, however the taco wagons kill me because out of a dozen in the area, only my trailer and another are certified. The others are able to offer lower prices because of less overhead. I choose to be legal, because I can do the feastivals, many towns that require city licensing, and can use that in my ads. Fly-by-nighters are notorious here, and they are fixin to get hammered.

If I try with the stationary locale, maybe it takes off maybe not. If it does, I have everything to gain. If it flops, I figure I may be out at best $3000, if I have a year lease on the joint. The smoker will be no loss, as I am already looking for a smoker to suit my vending/catering business.

and i know of a good carpenter who would help ya remodel. :cool:

Shane - Aside from all the financial pro/cons, please just make sure you are factoring in your time investment and any impacts it may have on being away from your family...

Good Luck...

Shane - Aside from all the financial pro/cons, please just make sure you are factoring in your time investment and any impacts it may have on being away from your family...

Good Luck...
It's funny you should mention that, Vinny.

Mrs tx and I had the "Family Time" discussion long before my hare-brained idea of starting a BBQ Catering Company. In one way or another, each one of our family members has a place in our company, a specific job. We probably spend more time together when we cook and cater than we did before starting this endeavor. Hence the name "Family Tradition BBQ".

We have also hired some help to simply allow us to have time off away from the business. They run my trailer every other weekend. They are very trustworthy, and are almost part of our family, so they have an interest in expansion as well.

Your last two posts convinced me you should do it. :lol:

Opening a Brick and Mortar is always a gamble. However, given your shoes, I'd hit that!

By the way is the rent so cheap, because you are using your briskets as the bricks and your sauce as the mortar?:tongue:

Love ya, brother!:biggrin:

Not sure why the rent is so cheap...yet. I'll have an update for you farkers on the building condition on Fri afternoon. Could be a letdown for all I know.

... Mrs tx and I had the "Family Time" discussion long before my hare-brained idea of starting a BBQ Catering Company. In one way or another, each one of our family members has a place in our company, a specific job. ...
Okay, I was waiting for Grail...but since he is not here, if Mrs. Tex does the books, and the boys do all the cooking, what exactly is your roll?

Okay, I was waiting for Grail...but since he is not here, if Mrs. Tex does the books, and the boys do all the cooking, what exactly is your roll?
Marketing.....Sexy sells.

:lol: I am not worthy I am not worthy :evil:

Back